Msar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macfan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I buy access to MSAR?

Members don't see this ad.

When you're drawing up a list of schools before you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would buy the most current version like 6 months before you have to submit your school list. If you bought one several years before you were applying it would be outdated before you actually would be there (especially for dynamic programs, up-and-comers and new schools), etc. Also, it's helpful to know what your stats are gpa/mcat while looking at it.

I would buy the most current version like 6 months before you have to submit your school list.

Why 6 months? More like 1 month. If you plan to submit your school list in the summer, April or May is the earliest you should buy. That gives you plenty of time to go through it and pick schools that you might fit with. I believe the new MSAR is published every year in April, so that would give you the most current version.

^This advice is just for the online version, which expires 12 months after purchasing. I bought mine last May and it just expired, I pretty much used it up until the day it expired so I'm glad I waited until May to buy it.

Why 6 months? More like 1 month. If you plan to submit your school list in the summer, April or May is the earliest you should buy. That gives you plenty of time to go through it and pick schools that you might fit with. I believe the new MSAR is published every year in April, so that would give you the most current version.

^This advice is just for the online version, which expires 12 months after purchasing. I bought mine last May and it just expired, I pretty much used it up until the day it expired so I'm glad I waited until May to buy it.

Agreed. 1 month is good.