So, I've researched this Q on here and I can't find a direct, not over 5 years old answer, that applies to my situation. So heres the skinny, I'm pre-med and finding my job overwhelming for my school schedule. Between classes, HW, studying, MCAT studying, shadowing, research, honors program studies, etc. I haven't been able to balance my working life. I know I need to talk to a financial aid advisor at my school, so don't bother pointing that out to me. This thread is to ask anyone who has ever taken out a private loan, or seeked out other loan options, what they did, who they went through, how was it, advice, anything. If you haven't looked into this process, or gone through it then don't reply, I want answers not someones opinion. Thanks!
Wow, where do I begin? Ok, to start off, why are you stuck on taking out a private loan? If you are in an accredited school, you should be able to take out a federal loan. All you have to do is fill out the FAFSA with all your financial info (and your parents if you're dependent).
FAFSA calculates your EFC (expected family contribution) and based on that, will give you either a Pell Grant (money that you will never have to pay back) and/or a subsidized loan and/or an unsubsidized loan. The max Pell grant is $5,500 per year which is probably too little if you are in a 4-year university. So the rest of your tuition would be the subsidized loan (if eligible) which is up to $3,500/year for freshman, $4,500/year for sophomores, and $5,500/year for juniors and seniors. If that's still not enough, you may take out an unsubsidized loan for another $2,000/year.
If you are not eligible for the subsidized loan (which means you are for sure not eligible for the grant because you need a really low EFC to be eligible for the grant), then you can take out $5,500/year of unsubsidized loans for freshman, $6,500/year for sophomore, and $7,500/year for juniors and seniors.
There are two main difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans: for subsidized loans, the government pays the interest for you while you are in school so no interest accrues until you are done school. Unsubsidized loans accrue interest even whie you are in school.
The second difference is interest rates. As of right now, subsidized loans have a fixed rate of 3.4% (will be going up shortly), and unsubsidized loans have an interest rate of 6.8%.
If for some reason you NEED to take out a private loan (not sure why you would need that), than there are so many different options and it would really depend on you situation.
The reason why you should always try to take out a federal loan first is mainly because of lower fixed interest rates with federal loans. Private loans tend to have higher variable interest rates.
I went through the whole process and did tons of research on this stuff, so I know a nice amount about financial aid. Good luck!