Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y’all,
I feel extremely grateful to be in this position, but I’m pretty torn on the decision. I’m currently choosing between Hofstra and BU. Hofstra would cost me about $60,000/year (split between federal and institutional loans), while BU would be about $100,000/year (split between federal and private loans).
For some context, I’m interested in a competitive specialty and hope to match back into California, where I’m from. I went to undergrad near Boston and still have a strong support system there, which makes me lean toward BU from a lifestyle and support standpoint. At the same time, the financial gap is significant and would require taking on substantial private loan debt.
I know both are excellent schools, and prestige isn’t a major driver for me, so I guess my real question is: is the lifestyle and perceived upside worth the added private loan burden?
BU
Pros
-Boston location (strong friend/support network)
-BMC = high-acuity safety-net hospital with great exposure
-Solid California match for East Coast school
-P/F, No internal rank
-Strong alignment with my health equity interests
Cons
-High COA ~$100,000 (expensive, no aid given, trying to appeal)
-More self-directed mentorship
-Slightly more intense
Hofstra
Pros
-Lowest COA from strong financial aid package (COA ~ $60,000 comprised of federal + institutional loans)
-Tight-knit, supportive student community
-Northwell = huge system with strong clinical exposure
-Good access to internal specialty pipelines
-Structured, innovative curriculum
Cons
-Mandatory class 8-12 daily
-Internal rank
-Slightly weaker pipeline to California residencies
-Suburban location (Hempstead)
I feel extremely grateful to be in this position, but I’m pretty torn on the decision. I’m currently choosing between Hofstra and BU. Hofstra would cost me about $60,000/year (split between federal and institutional loans), while BU would be about $100,000/year (split between federal and private loans).
For some context, I’m interested in a competitive specialty and hope to match back into California, where I’m from. I went to undergrad near Boston and still have a strong support system there, which makes me lean toward BU from a lifestyle and support standpoint. At the same time, the financial gap is significant and would require taking on substantial private loan debt.
I know both are excellent schools, and prestige isn’t a major driver for me, so I guess my real question is: is the lifestyle and perceived upside worth the added private loan burden?
BU
Pros
-Boston location (strong friend/support network)
-BMC = high-acuity safety-net hospital with great exposure
-Solid California match for East Coast school
-P/F, No internal rank
-Strong alignment with my health equity interests
Cons
-High COA ~$100,000 (expensive, no aid given, trying to appeal)
-More self-directed mentorship
-Slightly more intense
Hofstra
Pros
-Lowest COA from strong financial aid package (COA ~ $60,000 comprised of federal + institutional loans)
-Tight-knit, supportive student community
-Northwell = huge system with strong clinical exposure
-Good access to internal specialty pipelines
-Structured, innovative curriculum
Cons
-Mandatory class 8-12 daily
-Internal rank
-Slightly weaker pipeline to California residencies
-Suburban location (Hempstead)