Experience with Compass Bank and Bill Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruger3030

Not afraid to fly
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished medical school and I am doing a IM residency in Phoenix, AZ. Once the match was over my wife and I decided to purchase a home. I have not previously bought a home and I really didnt know too much about the home buying process. I began by Google searching for physician residency loans and began to learn what the process entailed. I also looked on this forum and read others thoughts and experiences.
After reading and doing some research I made contact to three different companies, one of which was a family friend who is the president of a credit union. Literally minutes after PMing a SDN user by the name of CompassMBO, I had a response. In my original email to him, I was just asking a few simple questions about their professional loan program. Bill Merritt, who is CompassMBO, answered my questions and offered insight into the many different programs available. He didnt badger me at all after the first email. Bill waited for me to respond and wasn't pushy at all.
After we weighed our options we decided to pursue our mortgage through Compass Bank using Bill Merritt as our loan officer. He has been a dream to work with. While in Arizona with our real estate agent, he began to ask us questions about our loan that I couldnt answer. I told our agent that we could contact our loan officer and that Bill had even given us his cell phone number. Our real estate agent was impressed with this and then called Bill. Bill immediately answered and was able to answer our real estate agents questions. Our real estate agent couldnt believe we had a loan officer who was so willing to answer the phone so fast and that he would make the home buying process easier for us.
Bill has always been completely honest with me. When I emailed him asking for our closing costs and fees he sent me a very easy to understand spreadsheet of all of the fees that we would be having. After comparing this and our final closing costs and pre-paid items, Bill had disclosed everything. There wasn't a single surprise.
We bought our home through DR Horton and they were pushing us to use their lender and if we used their lender they would pay for more of our closing costs. After I told them of our loan terms, they laughed and said, "Well, you better just stick with who you have the loan with now because we cant match or beat it." Because they couldnt match the terms they still paid the closing costs.
Just so everyone is aware I am in no way affiliated with Bill or Compass Bank. I met him through SDN and because of his honesty and quick responses and awesome customer service I decided to use him. It was so nice to have a loan officer who I could contact via email, text, cell phone, or his office. I do know that they are not available in every state so it just depends on where you are. The home buying process for me was simple and easy because I had a great loan officer and real estate agent who explained things to me in layman terms. If anybody has questions please feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad.