Army HPSP-Have questions, looking for recruiter.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bohobitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I hadn't really considered entering into any military scholarship programs and now I am very interested, but I know it's getting late to try to get into an HPSP program for this academic year.

I'm trying to get ahold of an Army medical recruiter to find out if starting this year is possible and ask some questions. I'm in Colorado (in the Denver area). Does anybody know how I can get ahold of a medical recruiter ASAP?

I also have some questions that current HPSP students may be able to answer:

Can take a civilian residency after graduation & complete active duty upon completion of residency?
Must a person accept a military residency if offered (if a civilian residency is also offered)?
I’ve heard that if a person did a four year civilian residency then went on to complete their active duty, the four years would be counted toward total time of service but not toward active duty time. Is this correct?
Can I actually be accepted and go through paperwork etc. for this year if my classes start in July?
What (approximately) would my monthy stipend be?

Members don't see this ad.

look up the medical officer recruiter in your area. google is your friend. also, you need to be absolutely sure you want to do this as there is a TON of work involved. i applied but got disqualified for a medical reason. its extremely hard to get in and they will try to do everything to kick you out at MEPS

You can try calling RVUCOM. I know they have contact info Of recruiter in each branch. Also, I would recommend that you scroll down the sdn forum list to Military medicine link and read up on stickies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just call the local army recruiter. Explain to them that you're accepted to med school and want to do the HPSP. Ask them if they know who the closest medical recruiter is and they should be able to put you in the right direction. Or, you can just look it up yourself on goarmy.com... ;)

there is a military medicine thread if you scroll down. They should have all your answers regarding hpsp and other programs if you're interested

Also know that (from what I hear) the army utilize GMOs and many physicians do an intern year and then the army makes them get their medical license and finish out their service like that, leaving you to do a residency years after med school.

and getting ahold of a recruiter ASAP? clearly you haven't even tried. it is the military. I have to tell them to leave me eff alone once a week.

So I hadn't really considered entering into any military scholarship programs and now I am very interested, but I know it's getting late to try to get into an HPSP program for this academic year.

I'm trying to get ahold of an Army medical recruiter to find out if starting this year is possible and ask some questions. I'm in Colorado (in the Denver area). Does anybody know how I can get ahold of a medical recruiter ASAP?

I also have some questions that current HPSP students may be able to answer:

Can take a civilian residency after graduation & complete active duty upon completion of residency?
Must a person accept a military residency if offered (if a civilian residency is also offered)?
I’ve heard that if a person did a four year civilian residency then went on to complete their active duty, the four years would be counted toward total time of service but not toward active duty time. Is this correct?
Can I actually be accepted and go through paperwork etc. for this year if my classes start in July?
What (approximately) would my monthy stipend be?
I'm doing the HPSP scholarship through the US NAVY. It is an extremely long and tedious process and MEPS is a pain (4:00 AM wake up call).
-You MUST apply for a military residency.
-You may do a civil residency if you don't get accepted into the military residency.
-If you do a civilian res you still have to pay back the time to the military.
-The stipend is 2000 a month plus a 20k sign on bonus. They are starting to close scholarships for this year but you can still apply and get accepted early for next year.
-Call your school and they will get you the right recruiter.

Tide I PM'd you with some questions abou the Navy.

Yeah I've been thinking about the Air Force. Sounds like a lot of work, but it would be nice to be debt free in "4 short years" lol

I was always told "Don't do it for the money, if you do then you will be unhappy" Only sign up if you really want to serve in the military

Also know that (from what I hear) the army utilize GMOs and many physicians do an intern year and then the army makes them get their medical license and finish out their service like that, leaving you to do a residency years after med school.

and getting ahold of a recruiter ASAP? clearly you haven't even tried. it is the military. I have to tell them to leave me eff alone once a week.

Not correct in the Army.

bro in-law did TY right after med school and is PGY-3 right now, 3 years post-med school.

Check the military forum, GMOs are more common in AF and Navy than the Army from what I gather.

This is actually the exact opposite of the Army. You're more likely to go straight through residency than the other branches.

sorry. first off, I use "army" to collectively mean "armed forces." and it is just what i have been told numerous times. but not from a reliable source. but then again, I am not going to ask a recruiter if it is true or not. they aren't going to tell me the truth.

sorry. first off, I use "army" to collectively mean "armed forces." and it is just what i have been told numerous times. but not from a reliable source. but then again, I am not going to ask a recruiter if it is true or not. they aren't going to tell me the truth.

This is true. I'm not sure that they are withholding or giving false information on purpose. I think they are just wholly uninformed when it comes to any hurdles one might face when applying to residency.

For anyone interested check out the milmed subforum. It is very eye opening and can help you make a well informed decision.

Point of clarification: ALL the services utilize GMOs, including the Army. You are correct to state that they are the most likely to allow straight through training (though at the present time, unlike past times, AF is probably equal in likelihood*), but if you are medical (IM, FM, Peds**) you stand a very good likelihood of being sent somewhere as a GMO. I'm sure there are upsides and downsides to both paths to GMO-land, but to ignore the Army's habit of doing this doesn't fully flesh out anyone's research in the matter.

*This is not an ad for the AF. All the services have pluses and minuses and I think anyone who blindly thinks the AF is best is at best uninformed. But from a strictly factual standpoint, I believe this statement to be true at the current time.

**No, I don't think my fully trained peds subspecialty colleague who, like me, is fresh out of fellowship, though it was any great shakes to go play GMO. I am sure he was happy to serve, but I doubt it was professionally good for his particular skill set.