DAT Done!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just defeated the DAT!

PA 26 (99.5%)
QR 25 (99.8%)
RC 27 (99.9%)
Bio 30 (100%)
GC 29 (99.9%)
OC 28 (99.5%)
TS 30 (100%)
AA 28 (100%)

Here's the TL;DR version: Kaplan book not enough detail on its own; Kaplan PAT stuff somewhat easy compared to the real thing; Kaplan math too easy; Destroyer useful; flashcards help; use practice test/questions to identify areas where you need to study more.

I know these scores sound fishy (I didn't believe it myself). I've been a long-time lurker here and found some of the info here helpful, so I wanted to share my insights (without running afoul of the ADA prohibition on test material disclosure, of course).

I was scared because I didn't want to spend 8-10 weeks studying 5-6 days a week 8-10 hours a day or whatever the usual recommendation here is. I ended up studying off and on for about 6 weeks, during which I used primarily the Kaplan online course, and followed that up with a round of the regular DAT Destroyer book.

Weeks 1-3:
I spent the first 3 weeks working through the Kaplan course off and on (more off than on). I made flashcards of everything, using studyblue. I saved the Kaplan practice test for later. I also went to a ton of family/friend events and got a new puppy. Like I said, my studying was more off than on.

Week 4:
I spent week 4 slacking off, and spent 4-5 days working through flashcards for maybe 3-6 hours a day. I didn't worry about getting them right at this point, I just reviewed them from start to finish. I had gone a bit overboard on the flashcard making, and ended up with >2000 of them.

Week 5:
I finally ordered the main DAT Destroyer book and spent the first 3 days going through the 3 science sections (1 subject per day, 30 questions at a time). Each day I also made extra flashcards of all the stuff that was not covered in Kaplan. I had about 170 cards from the Destroyer Bio section alone. These 3 days were long, about 10-12 hours of studying, probably. I didn't do the Math portion of Destroyer. Instead I spent the second half of this week taking one Kaplan practice test per day, and spending maybe 1 hour per day on flashcard review.

Week 6 (final week):
I took the ADA 2007 test early on, and then spent the rest of the week reviewing flashcards, 3-6 hours per day. At this point I focused on the cards I was getting wrong the most. I was also going to make another pass through destroyer, but didn't have the motivation. Instead I spent a few hours reviewing the end of chapter summaries in my old O Chem text (McMurry), making sure I was at least vaguely familiar with the reactions.

My thoughts on the material:

Kaplan book: Not enough detail. Whole reactions were left out in O-Chem, for example. And some of the stuff in Bio was wrong. But it still provided a decent foundation and structure for my studying, I suppose. The Kaplan math section skipped entire topics that would have been very helpful to me during the test.

Kaplan online stuff: The online workshops were useful, covering a lot of material that, frankly, should have been included in the book. I made flashcards from the workshops, because there was that much stuff in them that wasn't in the book. The Kaplan PAT stuff was sort of a joke though. Keyholes/top-front-end/cubes were okay, but I thought the angles and hole punching were way too easy, and the Kaplan pattern folding had a bunch of images that looked like scans of photocopies of dittos of some toddler's drawing. They were not helpful. Overall, I suppose the practice was still worth it. I felt that the science portion of the Kaplan tests was accurate, maybe a little too easy. The tests were useful though, for getting used to the online format and the test length.

DAT Destroyer: Definitely not enough on its own, but totally helpful for practicing in format questions and for identifying holes in my knowledge. Doing that many questions in format was very useful in getting me up to speed for the real thing.

Studyblue: I'm not affiliated with them at all, but this was way better than having to hand-write that many flashcards. I ended up springing for the premium membership ($10/month) in order to be able to sort flashcards by least studied, or most difficult (most wrong answers). The system is cool, in that you can mark whether you got a card right or wrong, and it keeps a tally for each card. The system sucks, however, in that when the server goes down, you're SOL. This happened to me about a week out, when the Amazon ECC servers went down in that huge storm. No flashcard access for 1-2 days. I was freaking out for a while.

I hope others find this useful. It is possible to achieve an awesome score, and you don't necessarily need to spend 60 hours a week for 3 months to do it. My initial scores on the free Kaplan test were not awesome: AA18, NS16, Bio17, GC17, OC14, RC19, QR24, PA21. I think the most effective strategy for me was using DAT Destroyer, practice tests and flashcards to identify areas where I was weakest, and then focusing my efforts on these areas.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ummm wow....dude that is incredible!!!! I desperately want to see a pic of those scores.

Simply amazing!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a troll, at least not yet ;)

Not sure how to post images, but here goes:

IMG_20120709_204740.jpg

I'm not trying to freak anyone out or p*** them off with this. I just found a way that worked for me, and wanted to share.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm speechless!

Were you aiming for the high score bc you have a low gpa or are you just freaken smart.

You just became the most famous person on the dental forums. :wow:

Oh, and an acceptance letter to every school you apply to.

Congratulations! (I don't know what to say...well I do only someone else said it before me.)

You just became the most famous person on the dental forums. :wow:

Oh, and an acceptance letter to every school you apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was aiming for a high score because I wanted a high score. My GPA is decent, but I'm a non-trad and I feel like I need higher scores because of that.

I was aiming for something in the mid-20s maybe. I just got lucky.

And thanks to everyone for the props!

Energy level above 9000!

I wonder what was your Kaplan online score?

Did you use grid for hole punch? Or metally unfold it in your head?

The puppy name is mr. DAT?

Last edited:
Energy level above 9000!

I wonder what was your Kaplan online score?

Did you use grid for hole punch? Or metally unfold it in your head?

The puppy name is mr. DAT?
I should have posted them earlier for comparison.

All tests are Kaplan. I think I took the Practice 1 test last. My scores definitely improved just by taking a bunch of practice tests in a row.

Free Diagnostic
AA 18
TS 16
Bio 17
GC 17
OC 14
RC 19
QR 24
PA 21

Course Diagnostic
AA 22
TS 19
Bio 19
GC 20
OC 19
RC 23
QR 27
PA 18

Midterm
AA 24
TS 21
Bio 20
GC 23
OC 19
RC 28
QR 29
PA 30

Final
AA 28
TS 28
Bio 26
GC 28
OC 30
RC 26
QR 30
PA 25

Practice 1
AA 27
TS 26
Bio 26
GC 28
OC 25
RC 26
QR 30
PA 29

Practice 2
AA 24
TS 21
Bio 21
GC 21
OC 21
RC 28
QR 30
PA 25

Practice 3

AA 27
TS 26
Bio 26
GC 23
OC 30
RC 24
QR 30
PA 23

Goodness! Pick as school. Any school.

Can we get a picture of you holding up your scores like the catch of the day or something? Because this is a legendary move and that might be nice for framing.

Wow! Wonderful! :)
Do you think it was the obscene amount of flashcards that helped you or the equally obscene number of practice tests? XD Where'd you get the tests anyways? Were they all from your kaplan course? :0

Also, I know you're trying to be encouraging when you say that "you don't have to spend a lot of hours for 3 months studying to get great scores", but I believe the fact is that you are an exception, especially considering you studied much less than most people who struggle to get even a 23. You studied less and got the highest score I've ever seen on this site. Rather than attributing this to your practice tests and flash cards, I think your success may simply be a product of genetics which, unfortunately, none of us can use :p

technically...you can make that exact copy of results on ms word...LOL
just kidding :)
I now know these marks are possible :thumbup:

Wow! Wonderful! :)
Do you think it was the obscene amount of flashcards that helped you or the equally obscene number of practice tests? XD Where'd you get the tests anyways? Were they all from your kaplan course? :0

I just did the free Kaplan test and the ones that come with the online course, and then the free ADA 2007 one. It didn't seem like that many tests at the time, but maybe it was overkill. It definitely helped me to get a better sense of timing on the various sections, and identified some weak areas.

Also, I know you're trying to be encouraging when you say that "you don't have to spend a lot of hours for 3 months studying to get great scores", but I believe the fact is that you are an exception, especially considering you studied much less than most people who struggle to get even a 23. You studied less and got the highest score I've ever seen on this site. Rather than attributing this to your practice tests and flash cards, I think your success may simply be a product of genetics which, unfortunately, none of us can use :p

I'm sure I'm a statistical outlier on this stuff, whether it's genetics or just plain luck. And of course genetics is plain luck anyway, right?

I had a ton of doubt before the test, based on stuff I had read here (that Kaplan's tests/material are too easy and not indicative of the real thing, or that I should have spent more (or any) time on Destroyer or Q-vault or Crack Dat Pat or Achiever or whatever). I let it psych me out a bit, and it was totally unnecessary.

And I'm not trying to say that no one should ever study for longer periods of time. Instead, I just want to emphasize that people should figure out what method works best for them.

I struggle with reading. You improve your RC from 19 to 27. Did you use Kaplan strategies?

Edit I read ur strategies at another post.

Last edited:
I struggle with reading. You improve your RC from 19 to 27. Did you use Kaplan strategies?

Edit I read ur strategies at another post.

I switched from Kaplan's mapping strategy (which was too tedious/taking too long), to using what I assume is search & destroy, just skipping ahead to the questions and reading the passage for them. I ended up with ample extra time, but I guess I tend to read quickly. I think the initial low score may have been a result of being unfamiliar with the test.

Wow the best score I've ever seen! How did you set up your flashcards? For example, did you put a term on one side and a definition on the other? Or did you put whole practice questions on one side and an answer on the back? It would help a lot! Good luck!

Wow the best score I've ever seen! How did you set up your flashcards? For example, did you put a term on one side and a definition on the other? Or did you put whole practice questions on one side and an answer on the back? It would help a lot! Good luck!

A few were question/answer, but most were term/definition or concept/bulleted list with key points from concept. The concept ones are a pain to study from, but seemed like the only way to do it for stuff that couldn't be reduced to a term/definition setup.

Wow, can you please tell me what you ate and drank before the test? All kidding aside, huge congrats. You better get some financial scholarship with those scores.

These scores make me want to throw up. Almost troll-worthy scores, but I feel like it's legit. So many of my application troubles would vaporize with these scores. Inspired and learning from your successful DAT.

He or she is not Asian, probably Eskimo because it give me the chill every time i see the score. Lol

Last edited:
He or she is not Asian, probably Eskimo because it give me the chill every time i see the score. Lol

:laugh:
Somebody please induct this thread in the hall of fame!!
Gives me goose bumps every time I look at those scores :scared:

Thanks. Not sure yet.

Tell me about it. ;) Based on practice tests, I was expecting to do better on math and worse on science. The scores got reversed. I can't complain.

Nope. I'm white. Not a science major either.

what the! not a science major? whats your major then?