Shadowing Requirements/Recommendations 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doc toothache

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From a previous post: "Shadowing ranks among the top of misunderstood topics for DS admission. Shadowing is designed to acquaint the prospective dental student with the daily life of a dentist. It is about observing the atmosphere in a dental office, the interaction between staff, practitioner and patient and, more importantly,about the procedures performed in a dental office. It is for this reason that the number of hours required/recommended for shadowing is reasonable. It should not take months or years to make a determination that dentistry is for us. Shadowing most certainly is not intended for ojt. Ideally, an applicant should shadow a gp for 4-8 hours/day for about 3-4 days. Since not all offices are created equal, whenever possible, shadowing should not be limited to a single office, especially when the practice may be limited in scope. We should observe restorative, prostho, oral surgery, perio, endo, pedo and ortho procedures. For the more demanding applicant, shadowing a specialist is recommended."

Seeking a position as a dental assistant/dental hygenist for the sole purpose of "shadowing" is counterproductive. The time would be better spent immproving the gpa and/or the dat scores."

Source: 2012 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools
 

Attachments

Last edited:
anyone have an idea about Temple and its "substantial" amount of dental experience, I mean its not even on their website, at least I think. Same with Pitt, its not on their website from what I read.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe true for some schools. However, I spoke to a recent graduate who was on the admissions committee when he was a dental student at UMKC. They have a 100 hour job shadow requirement. He said that if you do the bare minimum compared to someone who doubled it, guess who they're going to choose? After that, I made my job shadowing goal 200 hours. I am using these hours to get to know most every dentist in my city. Plus not to mention, get a taste of everything such as practices with 1 and 1+ dentists, man-woman, general/specialized, in the city/small town, large/small, etc. Some I stop in once, and others I'm at for a prolonged period, which will come in handy for when it comes time for LORs.
 
Maybe true for some schools. However, I spoke to a recent graduate who was on the admissions committee when he was a dental student at UMKC. They have a 100 hour job shadow requirement. He said that if you do the bare minimum compared to someone who doubled it, guess who they're going to choose? After that, I made my job shadowing goal 200 hours. I am using these hours to get to know most every dentist in my city. Plus not to mention, get a taste of everything such as practices with 1 and 1+ dentists, man-woman, general/specialized, in the city/small town, large/small, etc. Some I stop in once, and others I'm at for a prolonged period, which will come in handy for when it comes time for LORs.

Because having free time and just watching the dentist is an excellent predictor of you becoming a better dentist?
:uhno: