Stipend for visiting student/trainee???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennybrak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i just got accepted to do some research work in a big hospital in Boston from Feb-June 2013 before i hopefully start residency in July 2013. I'll graduate from med sch in Jan. The position given me was visiting student/trainee. I'm not sure if trainees are given some stipend. Boston is an expensive city and i would really need some cash just to rent a place and feed myself. I really need some feedback from you guys as i'm not sure if i shd even mention the money at this point and how to do it. I don't even know if research trainees are paid at all.

Any one with answers or advice shd pls let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

wow! 150 views, not even a word...there's really an impressive group of ppl here!

wow! 150 views, not even a word...there's really an impressive group of ppl here!

No need to be angry, probably a lot of those views are from people (like myself) who can't answer your question...now it's probably even less likely that you'll get a satisfactory answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, i just got accepted to do some research work in a big hospital in Boston from Feb-June 2013 before i hopefully start residency in July 2013. I'll graduate from med sch in Jan. The position given me was visiting student/trainee. I'm not sure if trainees are given some stipend. Boston is an expensive city and i would really need some cash just to rent a place and feed myself. I really need some feedback from you guys as i'm not sure if i shd even mention the money at this point and how to do it. I don't even know if research trainees are paid at all.

Any one with answers or advice shd pls let me know. Thanks.

the answer is no. Visiting students/trainees are treated as interlopers. Not only will they not pay you anything, but they may charge you tuition/fees, or at the very least make you pay some administrative costs such as for issuing your badge.

Why not ask the program directly rather than send a query into the ether where you will likely get only speculative answers. I do not understand why you would waste your time asking for help from a bunch of people who can do nothing to resolve your issue rather than dealing with the one person who can give you an answer in an instant. You will evenutally have to ask her/him anyway, so why pussyfoot around? They are not going to think the less of you for asking the question; I am sure that they get similar questions all the time. (Although the question is probably asked before one has applied and been accepted to the program.)

Thanks for the replies. Btw, I wasn't angry nor trying to be malignant. I knew it would get me a response and it did. Well I called them n got all the details I wanted. Glad I got on some nerves...let's take it easy ppl..no need to get emotional

I don't think it is a paid position. I have already got accepted in MGH but it is unpaid position! I can not tolerate the high expenses at Boston!
By the way, stop saying in every thread that you have rich experience! Most of US students do 3-4 sub-internship in well reputed places.
Another point, MGH is overrated in neurosurgery. Last point, Fairfax is not that very good place in neurosurgery!