How to improve writing score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmgo2012

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my first PCAT exam last year and got 79% composite and 2.5/5, 2.5/5 writing score. I didn't get a interview, because my writing score was below the cut off line which is a 3/5, 2.5/5.
So I took it again this September, and got 96% composite, but only 15% in verbal section and 3 in writing section. I really need a 3.5 to make to the interview which means I need to take it again this January........

I am really frustrated right now, does anyone know how to improve writing in a short period of time?
 
Just out of curiosity, what school did you apply for? I never saw a school that has a minimum score requirement for writing. I have seen it for subsection and composite scores.
 
Just looked at my scores and noticed I received a 5 on the writing section of the PCAT I took in September! How the crap. I have no idea how I did that, but maybe my pointers might work for you.

Basically how I wrote mine out was.

Had a strict introduction, using any information that I knew about the subject. I thought of quotes, things I've read in science and just placed in in there while having a good strong statement of where this essay/writing was going. Also included my reasons for it to flow to the next paragraph.

The next paragraphs included the reason's why. I gave both pro's and con's for the reader could relate to the information. I was not directly specific, but made sure anybody could read my writing and actually understand what I was trying to convince.

Then just had a conclusion paragraph where I stated my statement again in different words, while relating to my reason's why, even giving pro's and cone's. Basically if I didn't fully agree on the material, I went with it on the essay because it was the simplest to write.

I tried not to stress myself out about this. It's not quantity, its quality from what I assume. I had like 3-4 paragraphs for each one, but then again I had time left over for this section!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just looked at my scores and noticed I received a 5 on the writing section of the PCAT I took in September! How the crap. I have no idea how I did that, but maybe my pointers might work for you.

Basically how I wrote mine out was.

Had a strict introduction, using any information that I knew about the subject. I thought of quotes, things I've read in science and just placed in in there while having a good strong statement of where this essay/writing was going. Also included my reasons for it to flow to the next paragraph.

The next paragraphs included the reason's why. I gave both pro's and con's for the reader could relate to the information. I was not directly specific, but made sure anybody could read my writing and actually understand what I was trying to convince.

Then just had a conclusion paragraph where I stated my statement again in different words, while relating to my reason's why, even giving pro's and cone's. Basically if I didn't fully agree on the material, I went with it on the essay because it was the simplest to write.

I tried not to stress myself out about this. It's not quantity, its quality from what I assume. I had like 3-4 paragraphs for each one, but then again I had time left over for this section!!
Thank you a lot for the advice. I will try to read more science magazines and remember some useful quote.
I just have a few more questions. What did you mean by pros and cons? Did you just analyzed the solution you provided? English is my second language actually, so I am afraid that my poor grammar and lack of "big" words dragged my mark down. Did you use lots of "big " words in your writing?
 
I didn't use any big words and got a 5. I think the main thing about the essay is to see if you can quickly think of a solution then argue against it and provide another solution.

That is what I did and I think I'm terrible at writing essays and stuff.I did this for both times I took the PCAT and got the same score.
 
I didn't use any big words and got a 5. I think the main thing about the essay is to see if you can quickly think of a solution then argue against it and provide another solution.

That is what I did and I think I'm terrible at writing essays and stuff.I did this for both times I took the PCAT and got the same score.
5 seems unreachable to me!!!!
I think I did what you said during the test. I had four paragraphs. one intro, then provide a method, and an alternative method, then conclusion.
The biggest problem I am facing right now is that I don't know how to improve.
Do you have any practice passage you wrote for PCAT writing practice? If you don't mind, can you send one to me?
 
Thank you a lot for the advice. I will try to read more science magazines and remember some useful quote.
I just have a few more questions. What did you mean by pros and cons? Did you just analyzed the solution you provided? English is my second language actually, so I am afraid that my poor grammar and lack of "big" words dragged my mark down. Did you use lots of "big " words in your writing?


I'm terrible at explaining this, but was looking online and came up with this -

http://www.a2zessays.com/articles/HowToWriteProsConsEssay.html

Basically when I write my essays, especially the ones I typed up off the top of my head, I just made sure it had a pro/con sense of essay, though I made sure not to do a lot of con's, just named one and how the pro was better either way. So I swayed the reader, but I believe this is partially just my own style of writing and how I do my essays.

Well I have a Bachelors in English Literature. So maybe that did put me at an advantage as I was use to cramming essays down my throat and being on my toes to get essays done in a certain amount of time, but I don't believe I put in a lot of large words, just normal words that I could easily have picked up from everyday conversation/reading textbooks. I do remember I mentioned Pasteur in one. Like I said, I mentioned facts in mine even though it might not directly was asked in the question.

Also, if you don't already know - refrain from using the word 'I' and 'you' even if 'you' is used indirectly. And of course write in past tense, never present. This will help make your essay a lot better/stronger in the long run.

And don't worry. 🙂 I think you're really just over worrying some. You will do wonderfully this time around. 🙂 Tell yourself this!! 😍
 
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a 3.5??
Doesn't U of T require a 3 for the conventions of language?

5 seems unreachable to me!!!!
I think I did what you said during the test. I had four paragraphs. one intro, then provide a method, and an alternative method, then conclusion.
The biggest problem I am facing right now is that I don't know how to improve.
Do you have any practice passage you wrote for PCAT writing practice? If you don't mind, can you send one to me?