Where to begin? High school grad (2026) interested in PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mulberries

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I'm about to graduate high school and interested in a pharmacy degree. I'm going to start my bachelor's after this summer. I'm not sure what path to take the summer before college, and I really want to work as a tech in the summer but not sure what the timeline would be.
  1. Pay for a certified pharmacy course (the cheapest I could find was $250 @ Pharmacy Tech Academy, certified based on PTCB website), take the exam and get certified, then apply for jobs.
  2. Apply for jobs and then learn along the way and have them pay for me to get certified. What are the chances they will accept me in the first place if I know nothing??
What is standard?? Thank you and really appreciate any help.
 
Hi there...

I don't know if there is a standard. At a local high school to me, getting a certification as a pharm tech is an available career training track. I don't know if students had to pay more than the exam costs. It might not be solace to you, but $250 isn't that bad.

Others do apply to be a pharm tech at a retail pharmacy, but check if they offer training and cover certification. I don't know if that's changed since the pandemic.