pharmacist ranked #3 for 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought Veterinarians made way more than $83,000 a year on average... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's BS. Pharm has gone done since 2008 based upon other numerous articles.

I like that the #10 job is a career making 30k/year...

Am I the only one who doesn't care about money?

Kcha, Ive seen like a ton of your posts in various threads. Literally all of them are 2 word replies that offer absolutley no help or relevence to the subject. not sure if troll...

Please do not retaliate with the "you don't know me" reply. Seriously you have 5 posts in the WAMC thread that all say "you got a shot". Seriously?

The fact that you do not care about money is highly doubtful to me.

also, From your username is can tell you might be of Asian descent. Just wondering.
I am sure salary NEVER crossed your mind when you chose your field. I mean, who considers that?

There is no way I would consider nursing better than pharmacy in any way, shape, or form. I am sorry if I offend a nurse, but their job sucks. Hard. I mean I wouldn't want to be a dentist either but at least they make more money than pharmacists in general so I could see that as a valid argument. But nursing?! No way in hell.

Kcha, Ive seen like a ton of your posts in various threads. Literally all of them are 2 word replies that offer absolutley no help or relevence to the subject. not sure if troll...

Please do not retaliate with the "you don't know me" reply. Seriously you have 5 posts in the WAMC thread that all say "you got a shot". Seriously?

also, From your username is can tell you might be of Asian descent. Just wondering.
I am sure salary NEVER crossed your mind when you chose your field. I mean, who considers that?

I'm not sure how you deduced that I care about money from the brevity of my posts. And surely you realize that the whole premise of WAMC is a farce. What are people expecting to hear, exactly? You have X% chance of getting in because there's a magical formula for getting into pharmacy school? Also, because I'm of Asian descent I must care about money? Sounds pretty racist to me. There are more important things in life than money, and it's unfortunate that you can't understand that.

And you don't know me :)
And I am a troll, and these kinds of forums are the devil. It's just too easy.

:troll:

I'm not sure how you deduced that I care about money from the brevity of my posts. And surely you realize that the whole premise of WAMC is a farce. What are people expecting to hear, exactly? You have X% chance of getting in because there's a magical formula for getting into pharmacy school? Also, because I'm of Asian descent I must care about money? Sounds pretty racist to me. There are more important things in life than money, and it's unfortunate that you can't understand that.

And you don't know me :)
And I am a troll, and these kinds of forums are the devil. It's just too easy.

i'm notorious for useless posts.

Advice: Even if you believe that he is derailing the thread, engaging in a public flame war and resorting to racist does not help.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way I would consider nursing better than pharmacy in any way, shape, or form. I am sorry if I offend a nurse, but their job sucks. Hard. I mean I wouldn't want to be a dentist either but at least they make more money than pharmacists in general so I could see that as a valid argument. But nursing?! No way in hell.

I agree. The only valid argument would be they have amazing job security, not that much schooling with a pretty decent salary, and have a lot of different options of environments and roles to do.:confused:

Either way it seems like a rough job...

I agree. The only valid argument would be they have amazing job security, not that much schooling with a pretty decent salary, and have a lot of different options of environments and roles to do.:confused:

Either way it seems like a rough job...

Job security is really really really important though...

I am not convinced that nurses have better job security than pharmacists, but I wouldn't know how to measure/compare such a thing anyway.

Maybe I meant that there are ample nursing positions available..
Do job searches at any Hospital (I live in Florida) you will see an overflow of nurse position and almost never a pharmacist job opening. Also they can be employed in many other places besides a Hospital...

I guess if you are comparing if a nurse can keep their job longer than a pharmacist or vice versa I could see a pharmacist sitting on their butt for a million years on that job ;):rolleyes:

Maybe I meant that there are ample nursing positions available..
Do job searches at any Hospital (I live in Florida) you will see an overflow of nurse position and almost never a pharmacist job opening. Also they can be employed in many other places besides a Hospital...

I guess if you are comparing if a nurse can keep their job longer than a pharmacist or vice versa I could see a pharmacist sitting on their butt for a million years on that job ;):rolleyes:

Isn't that what job security means? :laugh:

Isn't that what job security means? :laugh:

That's why I said "Maybe I meant that there are ample nursing positions available.."

BUT on that note... as a nursing student you would feel like you had better "job security" when you get out of school in comparison to a pharmacy student. Job security could mean A) I have a job as a nurse and it is secure or B) I am a nursing student who has good job security for when I graduate

I care about money and I don't think that is a bad thing..

Money certainly isn't the only thing I care about but once I have invested 170k in 8 years of education I would like to see a return on that investment. Actually, to be more accurate, I would be fiscally boned for the rest of my life if I didn't recover from the debt. So yeah, I have a pretty significant care about money.

We all care about money whether we admit to it or not. Money drives life, happiness, and health. If you dont believe this, then take a public health class and learn about wealth disparity and the impact on health.

We all care about money whether we admit to it or not. Money drives life, happiness, and health. If you dont believe this, then take a public health class and learn about wealth disparity and the impact on health.

When I say I don't care about money, I mean my own money. Obviously I care about reducing wealth disparities and I am especially concerned with unsustainable costs in our federal health policy. I care about having enough money to feed myself and pay for necessities. I do not believe that caring about money is necessarily a bad thing. When I say that I don't care about money, I simply mean that money is not why I want to become a pharmacist. I sincerely hope that if any of you are going into health care for the sole purpose of earning big piles of money, please contemplate your motivation. If we're going to fix our health care system, then it starts with national reform and the professionals that drive the field. Future success will depend on our passion, collaboration, and selflessness. Regardless of your job security, salary, or prestige, you can always make a difference in health care with perseverance and competence. I don't believe in getting a job so I can make money, I believe in getting a job so I can improve the world around me.

And I can't believe I had to clarify all this, unless salaries are more important to people than I previously thought. Then again I am not supporting any children or parents financially.

I care about money. Because that's how I buy food to feed myself to survive. My survival is important because I need to support my family. That's one side of it

Anyone who doesn't care about money can feel free to send me all their extra.

Why not send it to a philanthropic organization? As for me, I would probably send mine to the SPCA or the Humane Society, etc.

Isn't US News the same organization that put together a list of the best pharmacy schools in the country, based on opinions? /facepalm

... Can you clarify this? I'm not sure how the two are correlated. All my Jewish friends, please tell me that I am not the only one that would be offended if he had targeted you instead.

I wasn’t remotely trying to be racist. I am a minority myself. What I mean is that most Asians who pursue pre med or pharm or healthcare have strict parents who force them to study these fields for the money. Many international cultures want their children to study a field that can make big bucks. Whether you like to believe this or not, its true. Maybe I over assumed. But I have a lot of Asian friends with Cha as their last name lol. Fail assumption. Not stereotyping, but yeah. Asian parents usually want their kids to study health for the MONEY

... Can you clarify this? I'm not sure how the two are correlated. All my Jewish friends, please tell me that I am not the only one that would be offended if he had targeted you instead.

I love how you just assumed that you had Jewish friends on this forum? Please clarify? :love: I am not offeneded. I am a 2nd generation Jew. Thank you for assuming that all jews are after money :). You just technically condemned yourself as judgmental. but bottom line, i am not here to argue. Just making a point, it;'s the internet, I mean you can do that right?

of course you would! You are the ideal individual. Kudos to you sir Kcha!

Congrats on the triple post. And trying to instigate a flame war. Aren't moderators supposed to control this kind of behavior?

I meant that as a FELLOW Jewish person, I frequently get frivolous accusations of pursuing jobs only based on salary as opposed to genuine interest in the field. Thus, when you said that to kcha, I put myself in her shoes as I know what it feels like to be remarked on not because of who I am, but by a stereotype. So no, I am not assuming all Jewish people are after money. -_- I am actually extremely sad that you are Jewish and still said that to her.

But its true, most Asians who pursue pre med or pharm or healthcare have strict parents who force them to study these fields for the money. This is not a racist statement, it may be pushing a stereotype, but its true. In Asian communities, like the one I am from, children are pushed into healthcare for the money, because many Asian countries are still considered third world countries. I can't speak about the Jewish thing because I am not Jewish, but saying that "most Asians who pursue pre med or pharm or healthcare have a strict parents who force them to study these fields for the money is a true statement. Keyword being 'most' Asians and not 'all' Asians.

EVERYONE cares about money and money is the TOP reason why everyone picked pharmacy, medicine or dentistry etc...NO ONE will be in the healthcare profession if it did NOT pay six figures. The End. Please don't lie. LOL

If you don't care about money than why don't you work for FREE for the rest of your life?

EVERYONE cares about money and money is the TOP reason why everyone picked pharmacy, medicine or dentistry etc...NO ONE will be in the healthcare profession if it did NOT pay six figures. The End. Please don't lie. LOL

If you don't care about money than why don't you work for FREE for the rest of your life?

Money's important because it allows an individual to pursue other opportunities in their life and help create a larger impact on social issues like healthcare. However, is it crazy to assume that some of us are getting into the field because we see it as the front line of health care in the future?

I don't think anyone would deny money is a motivator, you'd be a naive fool to think otherwise and there's nothing wrong with striving to make more money. I just think it's incredibly sad if a person is solely in the profession to make money. I don't know how anyone could spend their entire life working in ANY profession that they only pursued for the salary.

JMO.

When I say I don't care about money, I mean my own money. Obviously I care about reducing wealth disparities and I am especially concerned with unsustainable costs in our federal health policy. I care about having enough money to feed myself and pay for necessities. I do not believe that caring about money is necessarily a bad thing. When I say that I don't care about money, I simply mean that money is not why I want to become a pharmacist. I sincerely hope that if any of you are going into health care for the sole purpose of earning big piles of money, please contemplate your motivation. If we're going to fix our health care system, then it starts with national reform and the professionals that drive the field. Future success will depend on our passion, collaboration, and selflessness. Regardless of your job security, salary, or prestige, you can always make a difference in health care with perseverance and competence. I don't believe in getting a job so I can make money, I believe in getting a job so I can improve the world around me.

And I can't believe I had to clarify all this, unless salaries are more important to people than I previously thought. Then again I am not supporting any children or parents financially.

Of course you have to clarify your previous comment...we don't have the ability to read your mind or interpret what you really meant :idea:

How can you expect to save the world and make a difference...if you can't even take care of yourself financially? Once you start raising a family, buy a house, car, pay off loans...things get really really complicated. All of a sudden, that 100k salary doesn't sound like it's a lot, but I digress.

Having said that, we definitely chose this profession for various reasons...and I'm sure that helping patients is definitely one of them, so don't lose hope :D Now SHC, on the other hand...:smuggrin:

Money's important because it allows an individual to pursue other opportunities in their life and help create a larger impact on social issues like healthcare. However, is it crazy to assume that some of us are getting into the field because we see it as the front line of health care in the future?

I don't think anyone would deny money is a motivator, you'd be a naive fool to think otherwise and there's nothing wrong with striving to make more money. I just think it's incredibly sad if a person is solely in the profession to make money. I don't know how anyone could spend their entire life working in ANY profession that they only pursued for the salary.

JMO.

I agree with you but I feel that in today's society, salary is proportional to how much respect one receives. Think about it, a nurse and pharmacist both help patients, but which one do you think gets more respect in the end?

I wouldn't work for free but I wouldn't care if i made enough money simply to make ends meet. And I don't believe that you have to take care of yourself financially in order to save the world or make a difference. How are those related? Unless you mean I couldn't help people if I were starving to death...but that's kind of obvious, isn't it? What I don't understand is how many of you are so shocked that money is not one of the reasons for my becoming a pharmacist. Is it really that far-fetched? Or maybe you're too entrenched in your own perspectives...

I wouldn't work for free but I wouldn't care if i made enough money simply to make ends meet. And I don't believe that you have to take care of yourself financially in order to save the world or make a difference. How are those related? Unless you mean I couldn't help people if I were starving to death...but that's kind of obvious, isn't it? What I don't understand is how many of you are so shocked that money is not one of the reasons for my becoming a pharmacist. Is it really that far-fetched? Or maybe you're too entrenched in your own perspectives...

Yes. Yes it is.

What did we disagree about? You asked a question and I gave an answer. I don't think we disagreed at all.

You said that my not caring about money is far-fetched. Far-fetched, as in not probable or realistic or true. I assumed you were considering my viewpoint far-fetched since you highlighted the quote it and said "Yes. Yes it is." Or perhaps you were saying that others might think it's far-fetched but you don't necessarily think so?

Have you considered that making more money means you have a greater ability to help others? I really do think this point is overlooked.

You want to help others and don't personally care about money? Try to make more; then you can really help other people. Do you think the Gates Foundation runs on dreams and rainbows? No, it runs on money!

Money gives us opportunities. Chances. Choices. It's not something to be demonized; it's a tool to be used.

Have you considered that making more money means you have a greater ability to help others? I really do think this point is overlooked.

You want to help others and don't personally care about money? Try to make more; then you can really help other people. Do you think the Gates Foundation runs on dreams and rainbows? No, it runs on money!

Money gives us opportunities. Chances. Choices. It's not something to be demonized; it's a tool to be used.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So I should "really help people" by giving my money to the Gates Foundation? The point you're making is that the money I earn makes a difference because I can give it to others. I don't think that's how you make a real difference in the community. Otherwise, you're suggesting that everyone in this forum should be giving portions of their pharmacist salary to charity! I'm not demonizing money, I'm just not putting it on a pedestal.