The Final Final Word About Ross.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erichaj

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't help notice all the talk about Ross. I saw a med-student using this site and wanted to try to give an objective view of Ross.

I feel I'm qualified to do this since I'm a Ross Graduate and 3rd year Family Practice Resident.

1. I work with many DO's and I see no diff in their skills than any MD. Some MD worse, some better.

2. Ross University achieves a high pass rate on the USMLE by weeding (sp) out their 250 to 300 students per class to about 125 by the time it's time to take the USMLE. Remember, Ross is a 2nd chance, so if you did not get into a US school or were older and did not want to waste a year or even 2 years to try to get into a state side program, then this is the way you may have gone.

3. I met many smart students at Ross from all walks of life, from many different cultures. I know of many who are doing very well
as attending or in fellowships.

4. Most of Ross students get into primary care medicine.
5. The Clinical rotations vary, some are good, some not so good. I suggest you try to do electives in the field that you want to go to and then do another in the same field. Make connections, network yourself.

5. There are some US grads who don't like fmg's. They think their skills are not as good. They say their board scores are not as high. I know ross students with board scores of 260 on step 1 and 2. I know US grads that did not pass step one. The same goes for Ross students. US schools offer shelf exams that are very similar to USMLE because they are furnished to the medical schools by the USMLE.
This is not to say that there are not very smart US medical students, there are, but lets face it shelf exams help the average student.

6. Still, If I had gotten into a US school I would have gone.
7. However, I'm a licensed Medical doctor in the united states and I'm able to license in any state. This is the promise Ross made when I went there. If I pass all the exams, I could do the above and I have.

8. I did not love being at Ross, I was difficult to live on the island.
All the professors were not good, not all the clinical were good, but I made it through medical school there and got residency. So, can you.

9. Try to get into a US program first if your in undergrad or just finishing. If you don't get in try Ross or SGU. sorry guys at AUC, the school is in St. Martin. It's a parly island, white sand beaches and lots of naked women. Hard to concentrate. lol, Also, not all your core rotations are in US and that helps a great deal when it comes time to getting residency. You can still do it. but it's a little harder.

10. The tuition was high, even though it was a second chance, I think the tuition was high, and the administration at ross did/does not treat their students well. But remember, in the end you will be and M.D.

E.H.
3rd Year Family Practice Resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info. Just curious...what were your GPA and MCAT scores?