1 year post bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any post bacc programs out there for only one year?

I am graduating in May, but I am taking a year off, so if I don't get a good job for some reason (hopefully this doesn't happen!), I'd like to do a post bacc for the year.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

bunch .....

georgetown SMP

drexel

BU

go to aamc.org and on their postbacc page they list all the programs. hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a bunch of one-year master's programs, too. Tulane has a few (Cell and Molecular Bio, Pharmacology, and the Anatomy Certification program for waitlisted students). I'm in Tulane's Cell and Molec program and it's been great!

southerncomf.. tell us more about the program

what do u like about it , what classes are you taking, how hard is it to get in , maintain good grades..also whats their success rate of getting student into med programs.....blah blah...everything

...by the way I was in NO last week for the sugar bowl....man was that fun , that place is crazy, I guess you have to be careful not to mess up with all those distractions..

toxin--sorry about those Sooners!

About the Tulane Cell and Molecular Master's--basically, the program is designed for pre-profs to get that "bump" they need to get into their school of choice. With that in mind, the curriculum is planned to fill in any gaps you have from undergrad with graduate courses--like if you haven't had a physiol course, you'll take that. Most of the courses are mixed grad and undergrad, so grad students do something extra, like research papers and book reviews, or have different tests. The workload will definitely keep you busy, but it's very doable. The department is heavy on developmental bio and neuroscience, so there's lots of advanced courses (ie--devlopmental neurobiology, neurobiology of disease, molecular biology of cancer) in those areas along with physio, cell, molec, biochem, etc. I'm working full-time in research and doing the program part-time, and my grades were fine.

The program directors are awesome--so supportive and very laid-back, they really want you to succeed. They do interview coaching, LORs, whatever you need. I think you can apply through mid-summer, and it's based on grades and MCAT scores; I don't think it's highly competitive, but it's a really good group this year.

I think the best aspect of the program is the patient skills course--you shadow in a hospital, go on rounds, take histories, psycho-social interviews, etc., and then discuss it twice a week in class. It focuses on developing good bedside manner, and really delving into the patient side of medicine--what really makes you a good doctor. You switch departments for each semester, so fall you may be in oncology and spring labor and delivery.

Success rates--the program seems to have a pretty good success rate. I don't know numbers from previous years, but this year several people have acceptance offers already and lots of interviews (I'm not applying on this cycle).

I'm very happy with the program and I'd recommend it to anyone. Hope this helps!:)

thnx for the reply southern...and the condolences about the sooners, damn they sucked. If it wasn?t for the defense we would have been obliterated. The program sounds really good. My first choice would be a special masters' that incorporates med school classes but this program sounds like a really good alternative. Good luck with your endeavors.

Originally posted by southerncomfort
toxin--sorry about those Sooners!

About the Tulane Cell and Molecular Master's--basically, the program is designed for pre-profs to get that "bump" they need to get into their school of choice. With that in mind, the curriculum is planned to fill in any gaps you have from undergrad with graduate courses--like if you haven't had a physiol course, you'll take that. Most of the courses are mixed grad and undergrad, so grad students do something extra, like research papers and book reviews, or have different tests. The workload will definitely keep you busy, but it's very doable. The department is heavy on developmental bio and neuroscience, so there's lots of advanced courses (ie--devlopmental neurobiology, neurobiology of disease, molecular biology of cancer) in those areas along with physio, cell, molec, biochem, etc. I'm working full-time in research and doing the program part-time, and my grades were fine.

The program directors are awesome--so supportive and very laid-back, they really want you to succeed. They do interview coaching, LORs, whatever you need. I think you can apply through mid-summer, and it's based on grades and MCAT scores; I don't think it's highly competitive, but it's a really good group this year.

I think the best aspect of the program is the patient skills course--you shadow in a hospital, go on rounds, take histories, psycho-social interviews, etc., and then discuss it twice a week in class. It focuses on developing good bedside manner, and really delving into the patient side of medicine--what really makes you a good doctor. You switch departments for each semester, so fall you may be in oncology and spring labor and delivery.

Success rates--the program seems to have a pretty good success rate. I don't know numbers from previous years, but this year several people have acceptance offers already and lots of interviews (I'm not applying on this cycle).

I'm very happy with the program and I'd recommend it to anyone. Hope this helps!:)

I am interested in the Tulane Master's Program, and I wanted to ask you a little more about it.

About me. . .I'm graduating this May with a B.A. in Bio. I've had a lot of clinical experiences, leadership experience, etc. My weak spot in my app is my GPA, and I feel that maybe by pursuing a master's I can show adcom's that I have the ability to do well in med school.

Now, about the program: -) Are most of the students in the same boat as I am. . .low GPA? How rigorous is the program?

I know you stated that you work and do the program part-time. . .how did you get the job? Are the courses in the evening, or conducive to you working?

Thanks!

DocKW--I'm in the exact same boat! My downfall is my undergrad gpa--oh, if I knew as a 19 year old what I know now! I think it's a mix of student situations--a few had low MCATs, some low gpa, some needed more of a science background.

The coursework is pretty rigorous, but very doable if you're determined and put the work into it. Tulane grad school requires probation if you have a B- in a grad class, and dismissal for 2 B- or less; unfortunately, one of our classmates is in that predicament! It's a great program if you're really serious about pursuing your goals, but it is definately not a "blow-off" program; and I think the med schools know that!

I worked in research (for Tulane actually) before starting the program. The classes are all during the day, so I adjust my schedule to fit it all in; it's not easy, and next year will be much trickier for me. There's another guy doing the same thing. If it's possible for you financially, I'd recommend going full-time and getting it done in one year.

The department website is www.tulane.edu/~cellmol/ Look under graduate programs for the one-year master's. If you're interested there's email addresses for the program directors--they're very helpful! The coursework described on the website is not set in stone--they're very flexible in letting you take what you want and what they think you need. For instance, I've taken cell bio, molec bio, dev neurobio, and adv cell and dev.The department is great--they keep the office stocked with gourmet cofee, juice and soft drinks for us, beer at the seminars (nothing like a Guinness to go with a discussion of developmental gene expression!), and parties each semester.

Thanks for the info, southern!

you're the man! great explanation, I think you just sold me.

Are MCATS acceptable for the one-year program at TULANE?

if so, there is no spot to enter it in on the application.

Thanks guys.

-Kownell

If you are talking about PB programs for the pre-med courses, you could do this anywhere: Take Gen Chem in the summer, and Orgo and Physics in the Fall and Spring and Bio in the folowing summer.

If you have already done the pre-reqs, check aamc.org for a listing of master's programs.

You mention that alot of undergrad gaps can be filled in with the Tulane 1 yr master program. I noticed on their website that admission requires that cell bio and molecular bio have been taken (which makes sense for a cell bio master's program) and wanted to see what you thought about the strictness of this claim.

I would love to at least apply for this program...the courses offered all seem great, just this one hangup.

Whatever help you can give...

The best place to do it is at your local state school. You save a lot of money that way. You might have to schedule your classes in very tightly as in you might need to take 2 chemistry classes at the same time. If you choose a school that runs on the quarter system that works to your advantage also since you get some extra flexibility in scheduling classes.

Consider all your options and consider the cost involved. I don't think schools really care if you attended a post-bacc program or if you just created your own post-bacc "program" at the school of your choice. The only thing that would be a problem is choosing a community college, professional schools want to see grade from a 4 year college, and many city schools qualify.