public health 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

le pamplemousse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently applied to clinical psychology PhD programs. However, I am reconsidering my decision to enter this field.

I have nearly 3 years of research experience in the area of mental health/immunology at the National Institutes of Health. I've had the opportunity to present my research at conferences and co-author several publications. I have a B.A. in sociology from a top state university, 4.0 GPA. My GREs are 157Q 159V 4.5 W.

I am very interested in mental health research, particularly from a global/multicultural perspective.

I am now considering pursuing an MPH instead (or a related degree). I have a few questions:

1) I would like to gain a solid background in research methodology and statistics--would an MPH prepare me for this?

2) Do certain MPH programs offer concentrations in specific areas (i.e. mental health)?

3) Are MPH programs generally funded? If so, which ones?

4) How competitive is this field? (I ask because clinical psychology is EXTREMELY competitive. Each program accepts between 2-8% of applicants)

Thanks for your help guys! Sorry if these questions have been asked before---let me know if there is a thread that addresses my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I recently applied to clinical psychology PhD programs. However, I am reconsidering my decision to enter this field.

I have nearly 3 years of research experience in the area of mental health/immunology at the National Institutes of Health. I've had the opportunity to present my research at conferences and co-author several publications. I have a B.A. in sociology from a top state university, 4.0 GPA. My GREs are 157Q 159V 4.5 W.

I am very interested in mental health research, particularly from a global/multicultural perspective.

I am now considering pursuing an MPH instead (or a related degree). I have a few questions:

1) I would like to gain a solid background in research methodology and statistics--would an MPH prepare me for this?

2) Do certain MPH programs offer concentrations in specific areas (i.e. mental health)?

3) Are MPH programs generally funded? If so, which ones?

4) How competitive is this field? (I ask because clinical psychology is EXTREMELY competitive. Each program accepts between 2-8% of applicants)

Thanks for your help guys! Sorry if these questions have been asked before---let me know if there is a thread that addresses my questions.

1) yes

2) yes

3) no. it is a master's degree. you can get merit or need scholarships, or loans. The first two are rare at the best schools\

4) usually a good bit less competitive than most PhD programs and most MPP programs. that isn't true at the top 3-5 schools, but for everything else, yeah