0+6 Pharmacy Question??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kalookakoo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a junior and I'm probably attending SUNY Buffalo to get into pharmacy since I don't want to go to suny albany (Too much of a rep as a party school) and I need the in-state tuition.

Only problem is, I don't know if I have to do anything beforehand to get accepted. I'll probably have an average of 91ish unweighted and have a bunch of honor societies and extra curricular activities but I don't know what else to do.

Could anyone give me some insight on what to do to give me a better chance at getting in? And I've heard 2+4 is bad because sometimes getting the into 4 year can prove to be difficult with all the other applicants and with my really big limits on where I can afford to go. Is it really hard?

So...I made a mess of my question(s) in 3 paragraphs..please try to help me anyways. >.<
 
I'm a junior and I'm probably attending SUNY Buffalo to get into pharmacy since I don't want to go to suny albany (Too much of a rep as a party school) and I need the in-state tuition.

Only problem is, I don't know if I have to do anything beforehand to get accepted. I'll probably have an average of 91ish unweighted and have a bunch of honor societies and extra curricular activities but I don't know what else to do.

Could anyone give me some insight on what to do to give me a better chance at getting in? And I've heard 2+4 is bad because sometimes getting the into 4 year can prove to be difficult with all the other applicants and with my really big limits on where I can afford to go. Is it really hard?

So...I made a mess of my question(s) in 3 paragraphs..please try to help me anyways. >.<


It's not hard, it's just really competitive. If you have the option to do the 0+6 then go ahead. Since there is one of those type of schools in your state I would give the adcom a call to verify what you may need to do to get in. Good luck.👍
 
in the 0+6 schools, your first two years are accelerated and you will need to keep up your GPA and other requirements to be guaranteed acceptance to the last four years.
 
This is embarrassing...

I just realized that suny Albany doesn't have a pharmacy school, and it's Albany college of pharmacy that has nothing to do with the suny system that was what I was looking at...

Meaning, I'd probably have to go to Buffalo to do 2+4 (Rawr). I'll take your word for it that 2+4 isn't hard, but competitive, but it seems unwise to rely on one school for pharmacy. Going to a private/out of state school costs a lot (~30k with dorm) and it seems like a lot of debt. Is it worth it?

At this point I guess I'm looking for opinions.