0+6 vs 4+2 vs 3 years PharmD GPA differences after graduation

Started by zinjer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zinjer

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just wondering if you put the same student through each program, would that make any different in GPA after graduation?

I heard that 0+6 programs tend to be harsh on one's GPA, is that true?

Do residency/grad school understand the difference in program type and GPA? Obviously 4+2 get a second chance to make up the GPA after pre-pharmacy, and 0+6 need to pull through with basic science being imbedded in the overall GPA.
 
I am just wondering if you put the same student through each program, would that make any different in GPA after graduation?

I heard that 0+6 programs tend to be harsh on one's GPA, is that true?

Do residency/grad school understand the difference in program type and GPA? Obviously 4+2 get a second chance to make up the GPA after pre-pharmacy, and 0+6 need to pull through with basic science being imbedded in the overall GPA.
No
 
Three year programs are more academically stressful, likely leading to lower GPAs. No real difference between the other ones.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my anecdotal experience reviewing transcripts, 0-6 programs are much harsher on the GPA because those first two "non-professional" years are meant to weed out those who can't cut it.

3-year and 4-year programs are about par, depending on the school.

Our residency screening process does not hold much weight on GPA- we care about what you did beyond passing classes.
 
Three year programs are more academically stressful, likely leading to lower GPAs. No real difference between the other ones.
Yeah, 3 year programs are more stressful, but grades will just get curved to match the curve of 4 year programs.
 
No, three-year schools in my experience (and my alma mater is one) did not make a difference gradewise for graduate admissions. I know they don't for federal employment, because we frankly don't care unless you were a marginal less than 2.5 pass if a recent grad and there cannot be more than 10 quality points assigned for grade differentials unless there is a degree difference. If you are going for pharmacy grad school, grades matter less but A LOT more has to do with your letters of rec and definitely your interview including with the laboratory if you're in a lab-intensive program (Med Chem, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Biotech). If you are going for Medicine, it's discussed elsewhere on the boards.

I don't think so in terms of a 0-6 schools being necessarily harder. When I read graduate admissions from PharmD's for the graduate program, I basically have a "fix" for certain GPA's from certain schools:
(Not comprehensive or formalized, but I do have mental adjustments that I note when I look at admissions from schools I am aware of as particularly brutal):

Science faculty hate their students and wants them to die schools:
Florida, Iowa, Virginia Commonwealth

+.3 SGPA, ignore ALL Med Chem and Pharmaceutics grades unless applying for the major. If grades high (or Professor Masochist writes the LoR), guaranteed admit.

Science faculty dislikes their students and wants them to fail schools:
Temple, UMN, UCSD, Toledo, UAMS, Kansas, Pitt (debatable, I ask who they had), Ohio State (debatable)

+.2 SGPA, ignore lowest Med Chem and Pharmaceutics grades unless applying for that major