0 EFC? How much grant money did u get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCube

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Zero Estimated Family Contribution?

If so, how much NEED BASED GRANT money did u get and at what school?

How much in loans will you need to take out?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm interested in hearing about any grants >6000$ regardless of the school.

i would appreciate any grant info on:

Cali schools
Texas schools
UChicago, N'western
MSSM, NYU, Einstein

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, I received my aid package from umich was $15K in grant/yr. It should be even more for you because I had special circumstances. Hope that helps :)

Entol said:
hey, I received my aid package from umich was $15K in grant/yr. It should be even more for you because I had special circumstances. Hope that helps :)

need based? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rumor has it NYU doesn't care, and they are tight with their money. They're more than happy to give you a loan but grants don't really happen. However, BU, NYMC, Case, and Miami are supposed to give tons of money to those who really need it.

yeah, but I think this is standard at some schools that give good aid. I know Duke offers 60% of the unmet need, so that comes out to be like 20-25K I imagine. Stanford too, lots of good aid!

IcedCube said:
need based? :eek: :eek: :eek:

But do they take your parents information into account, because the FAFSA doesn't, but most schools will ask you to submit parents information for need based grants.

Yup, all the schools I applied financial aid for require both parent information and FAFSA. I think this is standard, but I'm not totally sure. I know if you just submit FAFSA, you can still get loans and _merit_ based scholarships, but not need based scholarships/grants.

Xega said:
But do they take your parents information into account, because the FAFSA doesn't, but most schools will ask you to submit parents information for need based grants.

my EFC for Mount Sinai was $4,800 (this included my parent's information) and I got a $25K grant. In contrast, NYU gave me $3,000 and Northwestern gave me $0, so I think a lot of it depends on how much the school has.

missmod said:
my EFC for Mount Sinai was $4,800 (this included my parent's information) and I got a $25K grant. In contrast, NYU gave me $3,000 and Northwestern gave me $0, so I think a lot of it depends on how much the school has.
Doesn't Northwestern do the thing where they forgive a certain amount of your lonas when you graduate? Or was that another school?

Yup, this is true according to the financial aid lady I spoke to. She told me the number is around $130K, which seems kind of high, but I bet you can drop a ton living in Chicago, paying for tuition, etc.

Xega said:
Doesn't Northwestern do the thing where they forgive a certain amount of your lonas when you graduate? Or was that another school?

What about 4,700 in EFC? Is that a sigificant amount, or will I still get some money?

Spitting Camel said:
What about 4,700 in EFC? Is that a sigificant amount, or will I still get some money?

my efc was like 16K, i still got 20K from Columbia.

missbonnie said:

That is good to know. Thanks for the speedy response. My fear is that when I went to BU and had the fin aid talk, they said that each student gets 3K and that's it. A poster above us said that BU is good with money. BU didn't make it sound like that!

My EFC was about $500 last year (including parents) and I got about $10,000 from UMich MD program out of state, even with being a disadvantaged applicant. I did get a 1/4 tuition scholarship from Baylor, but it was merit only.

Still remembering that decision to go MD/PhD...

missbonnie said:

I'm dreading getting my EFC from Columbia. Unfortunately, Columbia is one of those schools with incredibly bad requirements for independence from parents. I've been living on my own and paying my own bills for almost a decade, but Columbia won't consider me independent. (They'll consider me independent at 35. :mad: ) But Northwestern, USC, and Yale (I'm waitlisted at the latter) all consider me independent now. I got some one-year grant aid from NU and the debt capping makes it the most compelling thus far.

is the loan forgiveness tied into doing a residency there after med school?

Entol said:
Yup, this is true according to the financial aid lady I spoke to. She told me the number is around $130K, which seems kind of high, but I bet you can drop a ton living in Chicago, paying for tuition, etc.