0 Interviews. Next cycle? 30 MCAT 3.7 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snackish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This cycle I have no interview invites but I applied late. Still I thought I get at least some interest. From Alaska, but Alaska has no med school. UW accepts 20 Alaskans each year but got rejected pre interview from them. UW seems to favor older applicants, lots ecs. Heard of another guy from Alaska with better stats than me that got rejected pre interview.

Graduated from Tulane University but got rejected pre interview from Tulane. Seems they like higher MCAT scores. Am a Cell/molecular major, math minor. Science and cummulative gpa is 3.7. Osteopath science gpa is 3.6 because they don't count math in the science gpa. (In my math classes I have mostly As.) my senior year though my gpa was 3.5 so some downward trend but took harder classes too, but ended up with a 3.7.

I am late becuse i had to retake a 31 MCAT because I got a 6 on verbal ( physics was 14 and bio 11). In September got 30. (Verbal 11; physics 10 ; bio 9). Am scheduled to take again in May and focusing on all 3 sections. 2nd MCAT focused a lot on verbal for obovios reasons.

Did shadowing, volunteering. Applied 20 md schools only this cycle. No research. Will apply DO and md next year. Am about to shadow a DO soon and will try to get a letter. Here are the schools I applied too this cycle:

Hawaii. Rejected
Oregon. Not do secondary because oos needs 32 MCAT
Albany. No word
Easter Virginia. No word
VCU. Email say like consider you further and scheduling interviews. Apparently have see if a spot opens up.
Drexel. Reject. Might look at you in the spring.
SUNY buffalo. No word.
SUNY upstat. Rejected
MCW. Small pool 10/17/12
New Jersey. No word. (Mistake to apply jersey schools since takes few oos)
Robert wood Johnson. No word
Univ Nebraska. Rejected
Boonshoft Wright. No word
Toledo. No word
Rush. No word
Temple. No word
Loyola Sritch. No word
George Washington. No word
Tulane. Rejected. No love from my school
UW. Rejected

Excuse the typos/short hand since typing on ipad. Some schools I shouldn't have applied too but overall now know being late hurt. Don't you think I should at least have a chance at DO next cycle? I think I should have a good shot but jeez all this work so far and a big fat zero.

Members don't see this ad.

August but because I took the sept 1st MCAT I was not complete until my MCAT scores were released in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would load up on more low- and mid-tier private schools next time, like NYMC, SLU, RFU-CMS, and Creighton. And take out some of those state schools like OHSU, Hawaii, UMDNJ, UNMC, etc.

Re. DO schools, your stats are above most, if not all, osteo schools, so you have an excellent shot.

Thanks. I think I'll apply to 25 allopathic schools and over 10 osteopathic schools next cycle since I'm paranoid now because I didn't get any interviews. (You must be up late. It's little after midnight here in Alaska)

This cycle I have no interview invites but I applied late. Still I thought I get at least some interest. From Alaska, but Alaska has no med school. UW accepts 20 Alaskans each year but got rejected pre interview from them. UW seems to favor older applicants, lots ecs. Heard of another guy from Alaska with better stats than me that got rejected pre interview.

Graduated from Tulane University but got rejected pre interview from Tulane. Seems they like higher MCAT scores. Am a Cell/molecular major, math minor. Science and cummulative gpa is 3.7. Osteopath science gpa is 3.6 because they don't count math in the science gpa. (In my math classes I have mostly As.) my senior year though my gpa was 3.5 so some downward trend but took harder classes too, but ended up with a 3.7.

I am late becuse i had to retake a 31 MCAT because I got a 6 on verbal ( physics was 14 and bio 11). In September got 30. (Verbal 11; physics 10 ; bio 9). Am scheduled to take again in May and focusing on all 3 sections. 2nd MCAT focused a lot on verbal for obovios reasons.

Did shadowing, volunteering. Applied 20 md schools only this cycle. No research. Will apply DO and md next year. Am about to shadow a DO soon and will try to get a letter. Here are the schools I applied too this cycle:

Hawaii. Rejected
Oregon. Not do secondary because oos needs 32 MCAT
Albany. No word
Easter Virginia. No word
VCU. Email say like consider you further and scheduling interviews. Apparently have see if a spot opens up.
Drexel. Reject. Might look at you in the spring.
SUNY buffalo. No word.
SUNY upstat. Rejected
MCW. Small pool 10/17/12
New Jersey. No word. (Mistake to apply jersey schools since takes few oos)
Robert wood Johnson. No word
Univ Nebraska. Rejected
Boonshoft Wright. No word
Toledo. No word
Rush. No word
Temple. No word
Loyola Sritch. No word
George Washington. No word
Tulane. Rejected. No love from my school
UW. Rejected

Excuse the typos/short hand since typing on ipad. Some schools I shouldn't have applied too but overall now know being late hurt. Don't you think I should at least have a chance at DO next cycle? I think I should have a good shot but jeez all this work so far and a big fat zero.
Also if anyone has feedback on whether to take the MCAT a 3rd time or not, that would be great. You think my 2nd MCAT at 30 may be seen negatively since the science scores went down from my first MCAT, although verbal went up?

Also if anyone has feedback on whether to take the MCAT a 3rd time or not, that would be great. You think my 2nd MCAT at 30 may be seen negatively since the science scores went down from my first MCAT, although verbal went up?
Stop taking the MCAT. 30 is good enough for lots of fine places. Apply strategically (MD and DO) and you will get a chance to interview.

Concur strongly. You're doing poorly because you're applying to public schools and have no ties there.

You're fine for any DO program.

I would load up on more low- and mid-tier private schools next time, like NYMC, SLU, RFU-CMS, and Creighton. And take out some of those state schools like OHSU, Hawaii, UMDNJ, UNMC, etc.

Re. DO schools, your stats are above most, if not all, osteo schools, so you have an excellent shot.

August but because I took the sept 1st MCAT I was not complete until my MCAT scores were released in October.

there's the explanation as to why your cycle has been disappointing so far.

Concur strongly. You're doing poorly because you're applying to public schools and have no ties there.

You're fine for any DO program.
Yes 30 is ok but I am applying oos everywhere since I'm from Alaska. My thought was I need 32+ to get invites as an oos to a private allopathic school (like CA applicants) but even if I get a 30 again I am still ok for osteopath schools? I am studying now for my MCAT in May, and I figured if I am not pulling 32/33s consistently by then, then I won't take it, but if I am, then I will. No?

OP, if/when you got to apply again...submit the primary early June. that's probably the most important factor.

OP, if/when you got to apply again...submit the primary early June. that's probably the most important factor.
I will do that for sure. But if you don't have a state school and you are a cookie cutter (with no crumbs but no frosting either), seems like a 32+ MCAT is the way for us cookie cutters to get higher up on the pile for an interview.

Yes 30 is ok but I am applying oos everywhere since I'm from Alaska. My thought was I need 32+ to get invites as an oos to a private allopathic school (like CA applicants) but even if I get a 30 again I am still ok for osteopath schools? I am studying now for my MCAT in May, and I figured if I am not pulling 32/33s consistently by then, then I won't take it, but if I am, then I will. No?
A retake with the same or lower score is worse than not retaking. Even a 32 is going to seen as essentially no change since you have already seen the test once. In summary, your current score is good enough for dozens of schools. It is so good that raising it enough to do you any good will be extremely challenging and the risk of a negative or neutral outcome is high. I see this happen hundreds of times every year. It's your call, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
A retake with the same or lower score is worse than not retaking. Even a 32 is going to seen as essentially no change since you have already seen the test once. In summary, your current score is good enough for dozens of schools. It is so good that raising it enough to do you any good will be extremely challenging and the risk of a negative or neutral outcome is high. I see this happen hundreds of times every year. It's your call, though.
Ok I am listening. I was just wondering how you have seen this happen hundreds of times? Also, maybe I'm mistaken but did you take it 3 times and do well? Obviously I just want to get in and when someone does well like you or Irish guy (forgot his SDN name) it's encouraging, but I don't want to be foolish if statistically very few do better. I'm thinking on my 1st take I got a 14 on physics and 11 on bio so if I got close to that again with a 9/10 verbal, it could be a 33 to 34. Appreciate the feedback.

I will do that for sure. But if you don't have a state school and you are a cookie cutter (with no crumbs but no frosting either), seems like a 32+ MCAT is the way for us cookie cutters to get higher up on the pile for an interview.

how are your ECs?

how are your ECs?
Ok. 250 plus hours at local hospital since high school: wheel chair patients and help in the emergency department. Still volunteering each sunday at the hospital. I am working full time at a personal injury law firm where I summarize medical records, help the attorneys and staff, etc. At Tulane, I tutored english for one semester and in another semester I helped cancer patients with their art/coloring at an arts in medicine program at Tulane. (I like art and have a lor from my art prof). No research or leadership. Shadowed two mds and a Do said I can shadow him in February. Will try get at least one more DO shadowing experience and of course a do letter.

Ok. 250 plus hours at local hospital since high school: wheel chair patients and help in the emergency department. Still volunteering each sunday at the hospital. I am working full time at a personal injury law firm where I summarize medical records, help the attorneys and staff, etc. At Tulane, I tutored english for one semester and in another semester I helped cancer patients with their art/coloring at an arts in medicine program at Tulane. (I like art and have a lor from my art prof). No research or leadership. Shadowed two mds and a Do said I can shadow him in February. Will try get at least one more DO shadowing experience and of course a do letter.

ECs sound great and hardly cookie cutter. and it looks like we got something in common.

i am surprised that tulane shafted you so early...especially considering you went there for undergrad and that tulane SOM explicitly states that applicants with artistic/musical talents are actively sought after/encouraged to apply.

Ok I am listening. I was just wondering how you have seen this happen hundreds of times? Also, maybe I'm mistaken but did you take it 3 times and do well? Obviously I just want to get in and when someone does well like you or Irish guy (forgot his SDN name) it's encouraging, but I don't want to be foolish if statistically very few do better. I'm thinking on my 1st take I got a 14 on physics and 11 on bio so if I got close to that again with a 9/10 verbal, it could be a 33 to 34. Appreciate the feedback.
I haven't been mistaken for a pre-med in decades! How delightful. I only took the MCAT once.
I screen applicants to the medical school where I am faculty. In that capacity I see thousands of aps a year.

I haven't been mistaken for a pre-med in decades! How delightful. I only took the MCAT once.
I screen applicants to the medical school where I am faculty. In that capacity I see thousands of aps a year.
Yep, you have credentials. LizzyM is 20 years old too. Thanks everybody.

Update: Took my 3rd MCAT. Got a 31 (9 verbal; 10 physics; 12 bio). No more MCATs, yeah! I have already submitted my aacomas application this year and been verified.(Shadowed two DOs and was lucky enough both did OMM and have a DO letter). I submitted my MD application on the first day as well. We'll see what happens.

Update: Took my 3rd MCAT. Got a 31 (9 verbal; 10 physics; 12 bio). No more MCATs, yeah! I have already submitted my aacomas application this year and been verified.(Shadowed two DOs and was lucky enough both did OMM and have a DO letter). I submitted my MD application on the first day as well. We'll see what happens.

I don't think increasing the MCAT score by one point will make much of a difference, but hopefully applying early will for you.

I don't think increasing the MCAT score by one point will make much of a difference, but hopefully applying early will for you.
I agree, but I am sorta relieved because after I took it I was worried about going down which would have been worse and could have hurt my DO chances.

Good luck. Let us know how you do!

Did you apply as a WICHE applicant?

Did you apply as a WICHE applicant?
Yes waami to University of Washington but was rejected pre interview. Surprised at that when small pooled at some oos schools. Will apply again to UW.

Yes waami to University of Washington but was rejected pre interview. Surprised at that when small pooled at some oos schools. Will apply again to UW.

I would suggest applying to some of the other schools that participate in WICHE as well.