01/22/09 DAT breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CALgoob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BIO: 22
GC: 27
OC: 23
RC: 24
QR: 21
PAT: 22
TS: 24
AA: 23 (23.4 ARGH!!!)

really similar to yankees27th's scores...but he has a 24 AA because he got one more point than me on bio!!!

anyway, here goes:

BIO: there were some questions (maybe 4) that i wouldve never been prepared for even if i had another week...i know what people mean when they say it's random.

GC: knew i did well but didnt think i would get a 27. very straightforward.

OC: knew i did well and got what i expected. very straightforward. there was a mistake on here though but i knew what they were trying to get at.

RC: i was particularly blessed because i only had 1 tone question and the rest were search and destroy. im a quick reader so it helped a lot. finished the section with more than 10 minutes left...

QR: a little sad (but cant complain) about this score since i was getting anywhere from 25-28 on practice tests.

PAT: easy, very similar to CDP. im pretty sure that everything i got wrong on this section was from angle ranking haha.

used cliffs bio, destroyer, examcrackers, princeton hyperlearning, kaplan BB, cdp, topscore, and achiever. btw, i did WAY better on the real DAT than on any of the practice tests so dont panic even though you dont do so well on top score.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the only thing ur gonna have is a "goob" of acceptances in ur mailbox on 12/1

no need to be jealous of yankee...

i did WAY better on the real DAT than on any of the practice tests so dont panic even though you dont do so well on top score.

yea TS is only good if u wanna see how u feel after 4.5 hrs at a computer. its more about the ability to gauge ur test taking ability... leave the DAT to show what u know....

Congrats...wow those scores are very similar to yanks...sort of weird haha

Good job. Thanks for listing what you used to study, i needed that info.

So for Gchem and Orgo, what specifically did you use?

I have Kaplan BB and Hyperlearning Princeton Biological and Physical. Which did u use specifically please?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering, do you think skipping bio and going on to gen chem first would be a good strategy for the DAT?

I personally find myself crammed for time in the science section mainly because it's hard for me to leave a question if I'm not 100% sure it's right. Therefore, if I did Bio last, I'd be forced to just go with my gut instinct and put answers down. Also, gen chem takes the longest for me :(

Oh yeah, congrats on the scores!

oops, i also used the kaplan bb.

to wahoo: i just plowed through all the sections straight up. for me, i wouldnt want to skip bio.

to svart: i dont have the scores on the comp im using right now but i know that i didnt get over a 20TS on any topscore test.

Last edited:
Wow, our scores really are similar haha (and I also was upset about QR). Seriously though, don't let the one point in bio get you down, we should both be in celebration mode!

congratulations! im just hoping i get the same version as you guys tomorrow.

If you don't mind, can you give a breakdown of the specific material(s) you used for each of the 6 sections? Also, for how long did you study for? Thanks much and congrats on stellar scores!

eilrahcmi: math has always been fairly easy to me, dont know why.

heartsclover: its hard to breakdown the subjects since i used all the books for whatever i needed clarification on. for bio, just study as much as you can so you can miss some of the random ones and still get a good score (also, hope that your questions arent TOO random). for both chems, just know the basics for EVERYTHING. it was very straightforward and nothing crazy like destroyer (it helped me a lot though to study through it). QR and RC just took achiever and top score practice tests. PAT used CDP. i ended up finding 15 mistakes and making $75! :)

i studied for exactly 31 days. at the least, i studied an hour or two and at the most, 8 or 9 hours. however, i was practically done studying for bio since i had been preparing throughout the semester and mostly focused on the two chems since i remembered NOTHING (i took them 3-4 years ago). on the other hand, i did watch seasons 1-4 of house and seasons 2-3 of arrested development during this time so i think that even without being prepared for bio, ~6 weeks should be enough for studying...

onlydrilling: like what i just wrote above, destroyer is ridiculously hard compared to the actual DAT. however, after studying the basics, i went through destroyer and refined a lot of what i knew. so i would say that it isnt point on but it helped me a lot.

Congratulations, very well done and dont bother sweating the 1 point. You nailed it and you will do very well come next Dec 1. Just get your application in on time and you're beyon golden.