1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

1°, 2°, 3°

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Sammy1024, May 15, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Sammy1024

Sammy1024

Dec 12, 2013
    Just wanted to make sure I have it right:

1° vs 2° is for oxygen's when you look at the status of the Carbon is it attached to?

OH - C - (CH3)2 means it is 3°?

1° vs 2° for nitrogen is when you look at how many carbons the N is attached to?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Teleologist

Teleologist 2+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2013
    on your 6
    No and no. Your example alcohol is secondary. For amines think about how many hydrogens on ammonia are substituted.

4. Sammy1024

Sammy1024

Dec 12, 2013
    So the idea behind O is right but my example was wrong. I was deciding between writing an H or making the 2 a 3 but forgot. Dumb.

And then N is based off H's only so even it it was NH2 with a carbon somewhere it is still secondary?

5. Teleologist

Jul 7, 2013
    on your 6
    I meant no to everything. An alcohol is classified as primary, secondary, etc. based on how many carbons the C-O-H group is attached to through the carbon.

oOKawaiiOo likes this.
  6. Teleologist

Jul 7, 2013
    on your 6
    That would be a primary amine.