1 acceptance, but thinking of reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labellefille

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got one acceptance, but I'm thinking about taking another year and re-applying, mostly because of personal/family reasons. My fiancee is in NY, and because some things have changed since I began the application cycle, I'm not sure I want to go really far away for four years.

I applied to a few, but not all schools in NY this time around, and was rejected from all of them (super disappointing, only interviewed at one). I think I had several issues with my application that I hope to fix this time around. 1) My MCAT needs to be better, given my lower GPA and 2) I applied too late last year.

My stats/ect:
GPA: 3.55 (all A's in my sophomore, junior, senior year- 3.8 GPA without freshman year grades)
sGPA: 3.3 (C in Orgo freshman year, not a lot of other science classes to make up for it)
MCAT: 32

I thought I would have done a lot better in the application cycle this year, but I guess I aimed too high, and applied too late (October/November for most secondaries). I only had 4 interviews, and in the end, one acceptance and no wait list.

I'm thinking if I apply SUPER early, bump up my MCAT to a 35 and apply more broadly within NY/NJ, maybe I'll have better luck?

I thought I would have been a lot more successful this time around, but apparently not. Hopefully I learned from my past mistakes and it is worth taking the risk to be where I want to be?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're not going to get much sympathy on this board. If I were in your shoes, I'd take that acceptance and be extremely, extremely grateful. If you decide to reapply, you're taking a huge gamble of not getting in anywhere next year. Are you willing to take that risk? Honestly though, if you didn't want to leave NY, you should've only applied to NY schools.

You're not going to get much sympathy on this board. If I were in your shoes, I'd take that acceptance and be extremely, extremely grateful. If you decide to reapply, you're taking a huge gamble of not getting in anywhere next year. Are you willing to take that risk? Honestly though, if you didn't want to leave NY, you should've only applied to NY schools.

yeah, the situation now and the situation when i applied were quite different, i couldn't forsee many of the things that are causing an issue for me now.

i am very grateful for my acceptance, and this is what is causing me such turmoil. but i want to know if i can take a risk or not. as everyone on this board knows, this is a torturous process i don't really want to repeat, not to mention getting behind another year. but it would be worth it if i had a chance, if not, i guess there is no choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, the situation now and the situation when i applied were quite different, i couldn't forsee many of the things that are causing an issue for me now.

i am very grateful for my acceptance, and this is what is causing me such turmoil. but i want to know if i can take a risk or not. as everyone on this board knows, this is a torturous process i don't really want to repeat, not to mention getting behind another year. but it would be worth it if i had a chance, if not, i guess there is no choice.

That's a decision only you can make. Realize that schools will know that you were previously accepted and you will likely have to explain why you decided to reapply rather than matriculate. As to whether or not you have "a chance", well of course there is a chance that you could get accepted at a NY/NJ school next year. But there is also a very real chance that you may not. A gamble is just that -- you have to balance the risks with the payoffs. But I think most would urge you not to take that bet.

If, however, you do decide to turn down your acceptance in favor of applying again, I would encourage you to do everything in your power to strengthen your application in all facets. Your application on the surface does not look too bad. A real weakness though is the sGPA. I would probably try to improve that GPA with post-bacc classes, continue volunteer activities, obtain new/updated LORs, possibly retake the MCAT, etc.

Giving up an acceptance is insane to me. Thinking you will get a 35 mcat is crazy honestly. I dont know how students think its so easy to just bump up their score. Everyone always says well once i get that 38 mcat im fine...a 32 is a good score (assuming you have nothing <9 in a section) and i wouldnt retake. I have a wife and kid and i understand how that works in this process but giving up an acceptance for only a small minute chance that the NY schools will take you next year is a huge gamble with a low reward imo. If you had to spend some time apart its not the end of the world, several people do it. For myself my wife and I were possibly prepared to do this (luckily we shouldnt have too). If you guys are in "love" then I would take my tulane spot and go. Then do residency in NYC as getting a spot somewhere there shouldnt be too hard. At least not as hard as hoping to be a med student there. If you do have to reapply i suppose at least you have a passable excuse as to why you turned down an acceptance. Its just too risky for my tastes, love comes and goes a chance at medical school, if thats what you really want doesnt come so easily.

That being said if you can deal with the fact that next year you may be presented with the same scenario or worse, then by all means go for it.

I guess one major factor is that my fiancee's son has been recently diagnosed with a medical condition for which he is receiving specialized treatment in NYC. That's the main reason he can't leave, and why I want to stay.

I didn't realize that schools would know I turned down an acceptance, and that could affect my future applications. I guess it makes sense, but that part of the gamble hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks for your input, everyone, I guess this is going to be a super tough decision.

I got into Tulane (my only acceptance out of about 30 schools), but I'm thinking about taking another year and re-applying.

This is mostly because of personal reasons- I'm thinking about getting engaged and my boyfriend/fiancee is in NY and can't leave because of his job and family obligations there. I also have lots of friends and family in NY, including my brother and my parents who are moving back east.

I applied to a few, but not all schools in NY this time around, and was rejected from all of them (super disappointing, only interviewed at one). I think I had several issues with my application that I hope to fix this time around. 1) My MCAT needs to be better, given my lower GPA and 2) I applied too late last year.

I am really really nervous about giving up an acceptance if there is no chance that I will be successful in my re-application, but at the same time, I am a bit older (27) and not sure I want to give up getting married and eventually having a family to move to New Orleans for 4 years, even though I love the school.

You're thinking about getting engaged? Which means you're not engaged. Have you talked about engagement with your fiancee? Is he there mentally with you? Or are you just thinking in your head that you've been together for X amount of time and so naturally, he's going to ask me? Clarification, please!

The bolded just irks me because I think there should be compromise in a relationship, and here it sounds like you've got to make the sacrifices so that he can keep his life together on the chance that he decides he wants to get engaged to you (again, correct me if I'm wrong). Not saying that you don't want to do that, but....if you guys are strong, then 4 years in different states with trips home should be nothing in order for the both of you to have your careers. You said it yourself, you're getting old...so why do you want to put this off for another year when you don't have to?

I'm sure you love your man (as I do mine and let me tell you, I'll move in a heartbeat if I get an acceptance this cycle, because he's not going anywhere and I'm not going to put this off another second), but I don't think you should compromise this opportunity you have (that many people will not get this year despite better numbers, better experiences, and having applied earlier than you) for chance. There's a chance you meet someone better than who you currently have. There's a chance that you'll make it through being apart for 4 years (but in the age of technology, are you really apart?). Webcams, phone s*x, holidays...you can make it work. I've seen couples make it through worse.

I guess one major factor is that my fiancee's son has been recently diagnosed with a medical condition for which he is receiving specialized treatment in NYC. That's the main reason he can't leave, and why I want to stay.

I didn't realize that schools would know I turned down an acceptance, and that could affect my future applications. I guess it makes sense, but that part of the gamble hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks for your input, everyone, I guess this is going to be a super tough decision.

Details help.

I'm still stickin' to my guns, though. If you two are strong you can make it work.

DO schools are also another option. Your numbers would make you a competitive candidate. There is 1 DO school in NJ (UMDNJ) and 2 in NY (NYCOM & TouroCOM).

DO schools are also another option. Your numbers would make you a competitive candidate. There is 1 DO school in NJ (UMDNJ) and 2 in NY (NYCOM & TouroCOM).
Another decent idea if you did reapply id keep this in mind.

Details help.

I'm still stickin' to my guns, though. If you two are strong you can make it work.
exactly my point in a more concise manner lol. If you are in "love" then you will find a way to make it work. Sacrifice cant only come on your part. 4 years apart may seem like forever but in the grand scheme of things, if you guys are really committed it will work. If not, better now then later. I still think you shouldnt turn it down but good luck regardless.

I would be wary of giving up a medical school acceptance that you already have in hand. You would/will still be able to visit New York fairly frequently, such as on school breaks. If your relationship is as strong as you think, then it should survive.

I do think you'd have a chance at getting in somewhere in the northeast if you reapply, but there's also a decent chance you wouldn't get in anywhere at all. I do think that if you reapply you should apply to MD and DO schools as well. Your numbers are more competitive for the DO schools, most likely. If you really want to maximize your chances of getting in somewhere in NYC or New Jersey it would be smart to do so. I'm not thinking your MCAT score is the problem, though you could consider a retake especially if the 32 was your first try. Your late application and lower science GPA were probably more the problem, and you could try to fix those. You do have to do something to improve your application if you are going to reapply...take more classes, volunteer more, etc. Doing all that, plus reinterviewing, I kind of wonder how much time you'll have to spend with your fiancee anyway.

If you take the med school acceptance now, there is a small possibility you could try to transfer out to a school in New York, particularly at the beginning of 3rd year, if you still want to do so later. You would have to be in good academic standing and one of the New York schools would have to have an opening, which occasionally happens. You can't count on this happening, but it may be an option for you later.

If you reapply, I think there is a good chance you don't get in at all, and if you do it still might not be in the NY area. I think you have to decide what you want if you can't have both a career as a doctor and a life with your fiance. Love doesn't conquer all. You are talking about being a 20 hour drive or a 3 hour flight from your fiance for 4 years. Most relationships won't survive that. If your fiance is more important to you than being a doctor, then try to reapply, but you need to go into this fully committed to whatever you decide.
Good luck

It's a tough situation to be in. You have to look at what is most important to you. I know that being away from my wife for 4 years would just not be an option. If for some reason that was the only way I could have went to medical school, I just wouldn't have went. If that meant I never became a doctor, so be it, she is a lot more important to me.
That's just my personal feeling.

That is a big part of your decision. Your MCAT is fine, but your other numbers are below average. The suggestion about DO schools is a good one. Just realize that if you turn down this acceptance, there is a good chance you will not get another one. If staying with your SO is more important, sometimes you have to make tough decisions.
:luck:

I was hoping for "but thinking of committing suicide" when I could only see half of the thread title.

I didn't read all the details, but is deferment an option? If you talk to the admissions folks you may be surprised at their willingness to help you out... I suppose this all depends on your willingness to move in one year. Ultimately, to turn down an acceptance and reapply sounds a little crazy to me.

Good luck