1 Bad semster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doctor Asnan

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have had a great GPA until this semester. I had close to 3.9 before this semester but after this semester I am going to have around 3.4-3.5. I'm taking classes like General Micro, Neuro science, Evolution, and statistics.

Is there anyway I can articulate to a school why my grades got worse? Will it work? Is a 3.4-3.5 still competitive? I haven't looked into the GRE yet but I will graduate with my bachelors in biology this Spring.
 
I think it depends 1) what's the reason (i.e. something out of your control) and 2) exactly how bad the grades are. If you had say, one really bad class that you failed but it wasn't a pre-req or related to PT....that's probably not the worst. However, if you are taking a heavy science load including pre reqs and didn't do well, that can be a big red flag to schools. They may worry about your capability to handle a heavy science load in PT school.