Concerned about MD requirements hindering my acceptance!

Started by okemba
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

okemba

street sweeper
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I'm going to applying to MD/PhD programs next May, and while I have a good GPA, MCAT, research, and clinical experience... I used a lot of AP credits for my biomedical engineering degree.

I actually went and worked out my BCPS things, and I am fine with all BCPS classes. I have substitutes (higher-level) for all intro BCPS classes. So thats fine.

As far as English, I AP'd out of both semesters of that, and I know I'm going to have to take 2 classes of that.

But humanities.... meh. Meh meh meh. I have taken 1 psychology class in humanities. And I see like... some schools requiring something like 20 hours in the humanities.

Is this actually a problem?
 
I'd call some of the schools you're thinking of applying to and see if it's a problem (even though you won't be applying for another year, certainly wouldn't hurt to hear straight from the source at admissions).
 
For med schools, "humanities" basically means anything that isn't BCPM, engineering, or pre-professional. History, english, psych, socio, polisci, criminology, economics, philosophy, ethnic and gender studies, art, music, film, etc. Surely you've taken more humanities than just psychology. It's impossible to graduate without a lot of humanities credits unless your school has very weird GERs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Literally have take none. AP'd out of everything except for one single I/O Psych class that I've taken.

So.... yeah. I will call them and see if it's actually an issue.
 
The only school I can think of with this requirement is USC (as of last year). I remember a few schools saying they recommend you take humanities/social sciences courses, but not required.
 
The only school I can think of with this requirement is USC (as of last year). I remember a few schools saying they recommend you take humanities/social sciences courses, but not required.

No, there are a bunch that have humanities requirements. Emory is another school that comes to mind immediately.