1 Interview / 1 Acceptance (3.2 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killinsound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a little tale that I hope will give people in a situation similar to mine a glimmer of hope.

I had a 3.0 GPA going into my third year of college in a major that I was not interested in. As a result of my father's cancer, my own research experience, and my continuing interest in the sciences, I decided to switch to a biology major, and studied my ass off. It took me 2 additional years to graduate (5 years total) and in those two years I managed to maintain a 3.95+ GPA, leaving me at a 3.52 cumulative. I also buckled down and did fairly well on the MCAT (35+).

However, a couple of community classes that I had taken when I was 12 (forgotten until this application cycle), destroyed my GPA, bringing it from a 3.52 -> 3.22. Somehow, I decided I would apply anyways. As the application cycle surged forward, I was getting zero interview invitations, while my roommate was getting invitations from Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, so on, and so forth.

These past few months, I was invited to interview at what turned out to be my only interview. I went, and was placed on waitlist. I was ready to succumb to the fact that perhaps my GPA had kept me out of medical school this cycle, and proceeded to plan to strengthen my application – I applied to multiple SMP programs. Today, I got a phone call from the admissions office saying they would offer me a place in the Fall 2008 Class.

The moral of this story is to take the advice on SDN with a grain of salt. If you are determined, hard-working, and sure that you want medicine to be your future career there are many paths that will ultimately allow you to achieve your dreams of matriculating into a medical school.

My advice to people in this situation: Never give up, always press on, but have realistic expectations and ALWAYS have a back up plan. Apply early, and apply broadly.

Good luck everyone who is applying this coming cycle, and more good luck to those in situations like mine!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. A low GPA definitely isn't the nail in the coffin everyone says it is, but there are other factors that play into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, killinsound!

Congratulations to you too, MilkmanAl!

I have to agree with the advice to take "SDN with a grain of salt." There is a lot of bias and superficial analysis. On the other hand, there definitely is some good advice.

what a heart warming tale! suck it sdn.

My advice to people in this situation: Never give up, always press on, but have realistic expectations and ALWAYS have a back up plan. Apply early, and apply broadly.

Thanks for sharing your story. Even if we have heard this before, reminders are important. In fact, sometimes we need reminders to keep us moving forward.

CONGRATS on your acceptance!

I love hearing stories like this because I, too, share a very similar story. I know how hard, frustrating this process is and I want to commend you for staying hopeful.

Congrats! That's wassup

So this is a little tale that I hope will give people in a situation similar to mine a glimmer of hope.

I had a 3.0 GPA going into my third year of college in a major that I was not interested in. As a result of my father’s cancer, my own research experience, and my continuing interest in the sciences, I decided to switch to a biology major, and studied my ass off. It took me 2 additional years to graduate (5 years total) and in those two years I managed to maintain a 3.95+ GPA, leaving me at a 3.52 cumulative. I also buckled down and did fairly well on the MCAT (35+).

However, a couple of community classes that I had taken when I was 12 (forgotten until this application cycle), destroyed my GPA, bringing it from a 3.52 -> 3.22. Somehow, I decided I would apply anyways. As the application cycle surged forward, I was getting zero interview invitations, while my roommate was getting invitations from Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, so on, and so forth.

These past few months, I was invited to interview at what turned out to be my only interview. I went, and was placed on waitlist. I was ready to succumb to the fact that perhaps my GPA had kept me out of medical school this cycle, and proceeded to plan to strengthen my application – I applied to multiple SMP programs. Today, I got a phone call from the admissions office saying they would offer me a place in the Fall 2008 Class.

The moral of this story is to take the advice on SDN with a grain of salt. If you are determined, hard-working, and sure that you want medicine to be your future career there are many paths that will ultimately allow you to achieve your dreams of matriculating into a medical school.

Good luck everyone who is applying this coming cycle, and more good luck to those in situations like mine!

Dude you were my hero in the MCAT forum I remember... you and that other SwiftFox dude or something like that. You guys kept motivating the rest of us by utterly destroying those practice tests and gave great advice about what prep materials and stuff to use.. I remember very well.

Congrats! you really deserve it.

I remember you from the MCAT forum too G. I'm glad you were successful this cycle. Congratulations on your acceptance and go and be a light unto the world!