1 interview = 1 acceptance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_md

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does this occur often? what are the chances that one interview will eventually led to one acceptance???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

does this occur often? what are the chances that one interview will eventually led to one acceptance???:confused:

depends on the school...the number of interviewers, teh number of seats, the interview:acceptance ratio, the waitlist movement.

the chances are probably very low at a place like mayo, for example (34 regular MD spots).

Depends mostly on the applicant, actually. If you are a very dynamic, personable individual with good stats, and are perceived as a "good fit" for the school, one interview is all you really need. If you are a wet fish, having 20 interviews won't help you. Statistics aren't particularly relevant here, because it isn't a matter or chance - there are things each applicant can/will do that helps or hurts his or her odds throughout the process, and subjective components on the part of the interviewers that will play a role.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends mostly on the applicant, actually.

as a current applicant, with nothing 'in the bag' ...i've been using numbers. i have just 2 interviews in my province (i'm canadian), and a few outside (where i feel i have a slim chance)...thanks for the reminder that i can still control the situation, given i have one more interview in my province.

i do know a couple of friends with 4 interviews in ontario (which is phenomenal). it hurts that it could have been me as well (had i had one more point in my PS score)..but, i just have to hope for the best with my 2 interviews. my mom always reminds me, you can only go to one medical school! so hopefully a year from now, the number of interviews i had at this time will be a distant memory.

I've had friends who've had only one or two interviews and only one acceptance. I think a combination of all of the above posts are head on target. Those friends of mine with only one or two interviews ended up getting off a waitlist but were lucky to be placed high tier waitlist.

I have had more than one interview, but I was accepted by the school where I had my first interview. So I guess that was all I needed.

I was accepted at my first interview. I thought it would be my only but recently I had another and I am still awiating that outcome. The point is that it happens.

Accepted in my first interview in October (and my only interview up until EVMS invited me).

1/5 and I'm not a weirdo I swear.

Depends on how broadly you applied. You apply to the top 10 med schools and then state U yea, that's feasible. I think its ultimately a combination though- applicant strength, competitiveness of local applicant pool, and how many schools you applied to.

It also depends the circumstances of your interview. If you know the people in the admissions office and you did undergrad at this place (or maybe you have connections), maybe all you need is this one. I had a friend who basically worked his/her way into getting an interview at a school where he/she did his/her undergrad after he/she had already been rejected by this school with an MCAT score one point lower, but this time he/she got in. He/She is also a very hard worker and got another degree in the time in between those interviews. So ya, one is all you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
5/8 with 2 to still hear from...

100%. I have been on 8 interviews and have been accepted at all 8 schools. That seems like 100 % to me. You should get in.:luck:

Depends mostly on the applicant, actually. If you are a very dynamic, personable individual with good stats, and are perceived as a "good fit" for the school, one interview is all you really need. If you are a wet fish, having 20 interviews won't help you. Statistics aren't particularly relevant here, because it isn't a matter or chance - there are things each applicant can/will do that helps or hurts his or her odds throughout the process, and subjective components on the part of the interviewers that will play a role.

YES. I agree very much with this comment.

That's exactly what a weirdo would say...

?? This is me, I don't think I'm weird:

weirdo.jpg

JK. Sorry if that's really someone on this site.

?? This is me, I don't think I'm weird:

weirdo.jpg

JK. Sorry if that's really someone on this site.
I think it is the picture of the member named microgal. (from the picture thread)

Depends on the school - some schools, the chances are 1/2 post-interview, and some are 1/10 (that's the worst I've heard). Contrary to what other posters have written, though, I think there's both a performance element (how well you do on your interview day) as well as a random element - if you're a neuroscientist and they've already accepted 4 neuroscientists, even if you blow them out of the water, you're unlikely to get an acceptance.

But, the more schools you interview at, the better your chances. if you estimate each school at 1/5 post-interview, and you have five schools you've interviewed at, your chances of getting into at least one school are 1-((0.8)^5), which I think is greater than 50%

The announcement on not asking for medical advice is hilarious!:laugh: Like a military doctor is capable of giving anything but motrin to a patient. Too rich!:laugh:

I would say to be safe :

4 interviews = 1 Acceptence

Difficult to comment.

My school is the only school in the state and takes nearly all residents over 32 on the MCAT, but nobody under that would have likely gotten allo offers oos. So most of the school would say, "Yeah, I got one interview and one acceptance."

For me my first interview was my first acceptance. I do have three other interviews though. But, if I didn't have these other interviews I would still have my one and first acceptance.

I wont say anything about getting an acceptance as an URM.:cool:

three interviews gave me two acceptances and a waitlist. Depends where you apply. People who do EDP are banking on one interview giving them one acceptance.

Maybe not, but I've met a few SDNers, and while some are very charismatic, others have not been, to say the least. Some (non-SDN) applicants I've met are people that I would really not want to go to school with.

Maybe not, but I've met a few SDNers, and while some are very charismatic, others have not been, to say the least. Some (non-SDN) applicants I've met are people that I would really not want to go to school with.

Are you talking about me here Prowler? You're talking about me, aren't you? :mad:

To OP:

Yes, you can absolutely get an acceptance with only one interview. What it mostly depends on is the ratio of interviews to acceptance offers. For example, GW interviews a huge amount--- say 1000 students, but only offers about 10% acceptances. Other schools have a 60-80% post interview acceptance rate. So, it depends a lot on which school it is. Check out US News & World Report-- they list this information for all medical schools.

Now, since you only have 1 interview, you really need to focus on doing as well as possible on this interview. It may be your only one, but remember you only need one interview to get an acceptance. Spend a LOT of time researching the school--- and be able to ask insightful questions during your interview. If the school has a catalog, print that up and read the whole thing. Spend some money on a nice suit and nice portfolio. You want to make a good impression and look the part of a future doctor. Look professional and well groomed. This is so important and I can't tell you how shabby some students dress at interviews that I've been to. The MOST important thing you need to do is make sure that you express your sincere desire to attend the school you are interviewing at. Most schools do not want to extend offers to students who they think will not attend. That is part of the reason why otherwise well-qualified applicants aren't offered spots--- the ad com may assume the student would rather attend a higher ranked school.

The last bit of advice I have for you is to realize that in most cases you are on an equal playing field with other students interviewing with you. And if you were invited to interview, you have most likely already met the required academic standards (GPA, MCAT) and now you need to just rock your interview.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Now, since you only have 1 interview, you really need to focus on doing as well as possible on this interview. It may be your only one, but remember you only need one interview to get an acceptance. Spend a LOT of time researching the school--- and be able to ask insightful questions during your interview. If the school has a catalog, print that up and read the whole thing. Spend some money on a nice suit and nice portfolio. You want to make a good impression and look the part of a future doctor. Look professional and well groomed. This is so important and I can't tell you how shabby some students dress at interviews that I've been to. The MOST important thing you need to do is make sure that you express your sincere desire to attend the school you are interviewing at. Most schools do not want to extend offers to students who they think will not attend. That is part of the reason why otherwise well-qualified applicants aren't offered spots--- the ad com may assume the student would rather attend a higher ranked school.

The last bit of advice I have for you is to realize that in most cases you are on an equal playing field with other students interviewing with you. And if you were invited to interview, you have most likely already met the required academic standards (GPA, MCAT) and now you need to just rock your interview.

I just want to say that I think this is very sound advice. :thumbup:

100%. I have been on 8 interviews and have been accepted at all 8 schools. That seems like 100 % to me. You should get in.:luck:

You must interview very well like HumbleMD. It's all about the person imo. There are some people that look great on paper and won't get in anywhere, and others that probably would get in everywhere but never get the chance because they don't look good on paper.

Are you talking about me here Prowler? You're talking about me, aren't you? :mad:
:laugh: Are you kidding? All the people who met you said you were a really nice, friendly guy, and I concur. You're probably one of those people whose interview skills can move you up significantly.

i think if someone were to get one interview and from that interview get accepted, it would be a sweet underdog Rocky-style success story and would be way sweeter than if that person had gotten a dozen interview invites. If I should end up living this awesome Karate Kid dream, I will bake victory cupcakes for everyone on SDN. Well, for everyone I like anyway. :thumbup: Good luck to all my fellow solo interviewees :luck: It is the Year of the Pig and that is a lucky year indeed. :thumbup:

:laugh: Are you kidding? All the people who met you said you were a really nice, friendly guy, and I concur. You're probably one of those people whose interview skills can move you up significantly.

Thanks, buddy. You're a pal. ;)

Congrats by the way... nice signature ;)

I've had one interview and one acceptance. But I've had more than enough of my share of "real life experiences" and I think I can did well on an interview.

You must interview very well like HumbleMD. It's all about the person imo. There are some people that look great on paper and won't get in anywhere, and others that probably would get in everywhere but never get the chance because they don't look good on paper.

+1

He is saying URMs are in high demand with med schools because there are so few of you guys and gals. Higher demand = easier to get accepted. I'm not going to say more.
Yeah......haha.....thats it......:rolleyes:

Yeah......haha.....thats it......:rolleyes:

Exuse me, but what is with the "haha". Are you trying to be rude? or what? I have nothing against you having your own opinion, but do not discredit me and my acceptance as I am a Canadian applicant and have way more obstacles against me even though I am half-black.

Now what do you have to say???????:confused:

My first interview was my first acceptance too. It came in around 3 weeks after. I would say... check the med school statistics site. It shows u the post interview acceptance/ rejection rate and you can get an idea out of it.
NYMC, Penn state, OHSU have like 1 out of 6 or 7 chance. Where else, most UC schools have around 50% chance. :thumbup:
Again, your interview techniques, personality, your profile... they all count as well.

Exuse me, but what is with the "haha". Are you trying to be rude? or what? I have nothing against you having your own opinion, but do not discredit me and my acceptance as I am a Canadian applicant and have way more obstacles against me even though I am half-black.

Now what do you have to say???????:confused:
I'm sure by minority applicant he meant Canadian. And, being only familiar with the process as a U.S. applicant, he was reflecting the reality that he isn't as familiar with foreign applicants and therefore cannot comment...:D

I was 4 for 4... y'all must be really lame to talk to :)

Seriously though, I'd say to safely expect an acceptance, 4 interviews. It depends on the nature of the school, of the interviewer, and the nature you project. I did well at my interviews because (with my demeanor and background... at least I'd like to think), I project a trustable image... I was tastefully and professionally dressed, came from a humble background, smiled genuinely , have light brown hair and eyes (I've heard that this is actually true... that brunettes/bro eyes are often seen as "warm"), and while my application wasnt stellar, it also didnt have any major flaws, and was well rounded. Also, many of the schools were... how do I say... not top 20 schools. :)

I'm sure by minority applicant he meant Canadian. And, being only familiar with the process as a U.S. applicant, he was reflecting the reality that he isn't as familiar with foreign applicants and therefore cannot comment...:D
Exactly....ahah.....nice cover humble!!:cool::thumbup:

I was 4 for 4... y'all must be really lame to talk to :)

Seriously though, I'd say to safely expect an acceptance, 4 interviews. It depends on the nature of the school, of the interviewer, and the nature you project. I did well at my interviews because (with my demeanor and background... at least I'd like to think), I project a trustable image... I was tastefully and professionally dressed, came from a humble background, smiled genuinely , have light brown hair and eyes (I've heard that this is actually true... that brunettes/bro eyes are often seen as "warm"), and while my application wasnt stellar, it also didnt have any major flaws, and was well rounded. Also, many of the schools were... how do I say... not top 20 schools. :)

Wait, are you being serious? If so, time to hit the self-aggrandization alert. Que barfing:
:barf:
:barf:BuckeyedForBass

Actually, I was about the 4 for one part though, and the whole nature of the school/nature of the applicant thing. Not about the other stuff

Damn, now my panties are in a bunch....