1 month until DAT...final review suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, my DAT is a month away and I am wondering what some good final study tips are. I work 50 hours a week, so I am kind of limited on study times of (5am-7am, 6pm-11pm, and all day on Saturday and Sunday). To give a break down of what I have done to prepare:

I have spent the last 3 months doing Kaplan online(all I have left is the final and the 3 practice tests). I have also read Barron's DAT and Cliff's DAT-Both terrible! Sooo many errors and I don't feel anymore prepared from doing those, and I have purchased DAT Destroyer(which I plan to start on tomorrow). I have also read textbooks and used the internet to follow up on some weak areas. I also plan to take a look at Chad's videos to review some orgo.

Unfortunately, I feel like I have forgotten so much from the Kaplan course already...rxns, formulas, and key concepts I drilled in my head at the beginning of the course look foreign to me now! :( I feel like I have just been studying way too long(total 4 months..5 until my test) and really need this next month to cram.

I would like to get more practice tests so that I can do approximately two a week until my exam. I have the four from Kaplan and I am wondering if I should get DAT ACHIEVER or TOP SCORE PRO? I don't have the time, or the money, to buy a ton of extra study tools that I probably won't even get to. Also, my PAT scores for Kaplan are a solid 19-21 range...personally, I want to get as high as possible! Sooo....is CRACK DAT PAT really THAT good? Can it get you scores in the high 20s? The only area I am not getting 90-100% in is Top-Front-End questions.. ugh! They make my eye twitch!

For anyone that has done really well on the DAT and has something to say about these softwares, or tips on good ways to go back and review all od the material, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah,

I've been studying for 6 months, and I too work about 50-60hrs a week, plus weekends sometimes. I went through the Kaplan Pat, and it was way too easy for me...I would definately suggest CDP, even if it's just the 5 test version. Destroyer is a must for sciences. Now, I just ordered Acheiver, and topscore today, and will be going through them, as well as the 2009 ADA sample test. I've got 2 weeks left untill D-Day so I'm hittin' as much as I can, plus it helps that using PTO for work...Good Luck!:smuggrin:

Flybry2000
"Nothing comes easy and if it did it wasn't earned."

Thanks to both of you! I am definitely going to get CDP...maybe just the 5 test version, unless anyone thinks I should get 10 instead, as well as DAT Achiever. If I finish all of those, Destroyer and the 4 practice tests that I have left with Kaplan, and still have some time to spare, I will get Topscore. Thanks again, Flybry2000....I don't feel so alone now! hehe. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know a lot about them, but I have read multiple threads that say they are an excellent study tool. Basically, he made these videos teaching GChem and Orgo concepts. Each video is about an hour long and covers a different topic. I think he explains everything in a creative way that is easy to remember(so I have read).

If you go to Coursesaver.com you can create an account and then subscribe to the videos. For 1 month access it costs $20. The GChem videos are a total of 12.5 hours in length and the Orgo ones are a total of 12 hours in length. I have not done this yet, but after I watch a few videos I'll post my opinion.

I also found a website through SDN that has the Orgo ones for free... Just look up Chad's videos to find it. And if anyone has used Chad's videos and has an opinion on them, please post your review! Thanks!

DAT ACHIEVER or TOP SCORE PRO?
I went with topscore

CRACK DAT PAT really THAT good?
Hell yes!!
Honestly, If I woulda relied only on Kaplan blue book alone, I woulda probably ended up with a 17 on the PAT. For me personally, kaplan was way too easy compared to Crack DAT PAT or the DAT itself.
If your getting 20-21 on kaplan now, don't be surprised when you take your first Crack test and score lower, happens to many people.

I agree with some of the comments above that it would be beneficial to work through as many practice tests as possible in the last month. Make sure when you're going through them to try to understand exactly why you missed the ones you did. Also use the practice tests to reveal areas where you might be weak or need to review again to narrow your focus for content review cramming.

One more BIG piece of advice...DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!

And don't give up. The last month is crucial and can make all the difference in the world! Push through and you'll do great!

Hey guys! Thanks for all of the suggestions! I ended up going with Achiever-first test not so great. AA:17 TS:18. I wasn't too discouraged though from all of the postings saying they received scores much higher than the ones from Achiever-plus I still have 2.5 weeks left to study. I have been studying every free second I have. I'm lucky enough to have a flexible job that allows me to get some work done during the day. I also bought CDP. My 1st test was an 18 :-(, 2nd one a 19 or 20-I can't remember now. Hope to improve on hole-punching and keyholes. Thanks again!