1 rotation surgery; shelf exam study material question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

Surgery is my first rotation. I am enjoying the rotation more than I thought I would and would like to do well on the shelf. So far for study materials I have pestana surgery notes and surgery case files and UWORLD for study questions. I have learned that the surgery shelf is also medicine heavy and I should do UWORLD questions for renal and fluids. Are there any other books you would recommend to do well on the shelf, specifically the medicine part? Step up to medicine? FA CK? Any other surgery/medicine books? I'm also open to watching lectures or anything audio

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best resource above all else is de Virgillo's "Surgery". It's a relatively new book, but I guarantee that in a few years people will agree it is by far one of the best books you'd study for 3rd year.

Read the book, do the corresponding questions for each chapter, plus UWorld, and I think you'll be pretty set.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the GI medicine questions in UWorld as well. I'm a big fan of Online MedEd and used it for all my rotations throughout the year. The videos are free if you make a free account.

I also used Virgilio but didn't like it very much. I prefer case-based books so I wish I had used the NMS Surgery Casebook instead. It's good at presenting a case, then tweaking one fact about it to give an entirely different diagnosis, which really forces you to think through your differential.

Lastly, I did about 2/3 of the PreTest questions in the last couple weeks of the rotation. It's a good book to carry around while you're waiting for cases and residents won't give you crap for being on your phone all the time while you're doing UWorld questions or flashcards. Some questions are super duper specific, but if you save it for the end, you'll get a feel for which ones to skip.

Good luck!

First, congratulations on realizing that your destiny can only be fulfilled through a career in surgery. Second, there is a lot of medicine on the shelf. IBD and breast cancer come to mind as test favorite topics. Other than that, I used some qbank and read the high yield chapters on biliary disease and hernias. Third, congratulations once again on realizing that your destiny can only be fulfilled through a career in surgery. Fourth, if in doubt, see first comment. Cheers.