1 week enough to study for step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school gave us 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th year, so im thinking of taking the step 2 after 1 week and give myself a week break instead of just a weekend break. Do you think that's enough? My last rotation will be medicine so it should still be fresh..mainly using the 1 week to review ob/gyn,peds,psych

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on how well prepared you are going into it and what kinda score you're shooting for. 1 week really isn't that long, and if you take it that early, you will be forced to release it to residency programs.

It really depends on how well prepared you are going into it and what kinda score you're shooting for. 1 week really isn't that long, and if you take it that early, you will be forced to release it to residency programs.

What do you mean "forced to release it to the residency programs"? I thought that you have the option of not releasing your scores until after interviews; is there a time frame cut off for this?

What do you mean "forced to release it to the residency programs"? I thought that you have the option of not releasing your scores until after interviews; is there a time frame cut off for this?

On eras you have to indicate when you're planning on taking step 2. If you put that you're taking it early on, programs may ask about it on interviews. Also, if your score comes in before you submit eras, the score will get released with your step 1 score. You can only withhold scores that haven't been graded at the time you release to eras.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, don't study only 1 week for step 2 if you're planning on knocking it out of the park. I would say 4 weeks max, but no way only 1 week.

Ok so ive decided to spend 3 weeks for this test. How long do you think I should review each subject? anyone have sample study schedule? Im planning to using just SUTS2, secrets and uworld

Studying for it right now - I think it depends on how well you did on Step 1. At least half of the practice questions cover stuff I remember from step 1, not things I've seen on the wards.

1 week is sufficient if you're coming off of 3rd year having done very well in all your rotations (aka learned something). Also depends on how much you remember from Step 1. I would take a practice test on day 1, see how you do. If you're around your target, then by all means take it. Use that as a gauge. Definitely doable.

yeah for real, one week is too short if you want a competitive score. Just take it at some point during fourth year, depending on your step 1 score, you may want to even delay taking it as much as possible.

2 weeks is good. Anything more is overkill, and anything under 2 weeks may be too short.

Step 1 = 2 months
Step 2 = 2 weeks
Step 3 = 2 pencils

My school gave us 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th year, so im thinking of taking the step 2 after 1 week and give myself a week break instead of just a weekend break. Do you think that's enough? My last rotation will be medicine so it should still be fresh..mainly using the 1 week to review ob/gyn,peds,psych

Better to give nbme 4 so that you will get some clue but i think 1 week is not enough to get above 240 score and you should dedicate atleast 2weeks and last it depends on your subject foundation. If you have enough knowledge then may be possible but dont go to exam without testing through nbme online assessment.gudluk