1 week left before DAT, what should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 1 week left before my DAT, and I'm freaking out a bit. I've taken quite a few practice tests in different areas. I am getting about 19-22 in Bio, 19-23 in Ochem, 18-22 in Genchem, 18-20 in QR and 20-23 in PAT. I haven't taken a full length test all at once, but I plan to do that a few times in the 7 days I have remaining just to get my timing down. I really want to get in the low 20s across the board. I've been using Chad's, Kaplan blue book, Cliffs, Ferallis bio notes, Destroyer for bio, gchem and orgo, and math destroyer for QR.

Every practice test I take, there seems to be 2 questions which I know I should have gotten correct. That seems to be the difference between scoring a 19 and a 22. Today I'm going over all my gen chem notes, reviewing ferallis' notes, and will probably go over 100 destroyer questions. I feel like I am running out of time. Can anyone give some advice on how to best use the last 7 days? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

RELAX!!! That's what you need to do for the next 7 days. Prep yourself mentally! Believe in your ability to do well and tell yourself that you will do well. Doesn't matter how much you've studied if you go into the test with the wrong mind frame. Aside from that just do a general review of each subject so that the info stays fresh in your mind.

Hey Customx,

I'm taking my DAT in a week too. Not sure if this helps but this is my plan:

I took my first Achiever test today (ehhh)... I'm simply doing a test every other day with my last being the 2009 ADA test next week two days before my final exam (so a total of 4) and reviewing them later that evening (so test from around 1:00-6:00, then review the questions I missed from 7:30-midnight or so). On my days off (as in not simulated testing conditions) I'm doing DAT Bootcamp tests (I'm running out of these so I'll focus more on destroyer/Chad's quizzes), redoing some of the Destroyer questions (about 70-100 from each subject), and re-taking one MATH destroyer test each day. I'm considering buying qVault questions and doing those instead of destroyer, but I'm not sure if it would be a waste of money since I know I can't finish them all.

Other than that, I'm feeling a bit burnt out this last week so I'm trying my best not to freak out and take regular breaks watching TV shows and walking outside to breath some fresh air. I may go for a short run just to release some stress.

I have the same feeling, like my head is going to explode with information overload. I just went through Ferallis' notes in about 3 hours. I feel like I've got so little time remaining, but at the same time I should try to relax a little. I've reviewed quite a bit of bio today and ochem, tonight I'll get on QR and gen chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just took my DAT Monday and got a 21AA and for my last week I just went into crazy review mode. I read cliffs, my chads notes, note cards, ect. over and over again. I also took the 2009 ADA practice test 4 days before my test. It was good and close to the real thing but VERY ANNOYING because there are errors and they don't score it for you.... Overall I say review and maybe just take one practice test or so. STAY POSITIVE! Your practice scores are great, you should do fine!

Hey fishhook, did you take the ADA practice on the computer? How did you notice the errors? (are the blatantly obvious?)

Hey I just took my DAT Monday and got a 21AA and for my last week I just went into crazy review mode. I read cliffs, my chads notes, note cards, ect. over and over again. I also took the 2009 ADA practice test 4 days before my test. It was good and close to the real thing but VERY ANNOYING because there are errors and they don't score it for you.... Overall I say review and maybe just take one practice test or so. STAY POSITIVE! Your practice scores are great, you should do fine!

I did take it on the computer. I know some have said to get the hard copy but the real dat is on the computer so I felt like I should practice as close to the real thing as possible!! I think the reason why most people say to get the hard copy is it has they provide the scoring guide with it. The errors are kinda obvious but I noticed them just by going over every problem that I got wrong for the sciences. There are no explanations it just tells you you got it wrong. I would be confused and look it up on here and sure enough there are tons of threads about the errors and the corrections to them. Also since they don't score it for you and you don't get the scoring guide just look it up on here and someone took a pic of it and posted it.

Just make sure that at least a few days before your exam you can take the '09 ADA to see if you're breaking at least a 20/20/19. If you break it i say you're ready. If you don't break it, reschedule. I think your'e good to go though. Good luck

Eat oranges and kiwis (boost your immune system), take vitamin C, drink green tea (but not on the day of the test), eat almonds/walnuts (boost brainpower)

In terms of testing, I would review Bio, basic orgo rxns, and get your speed up on PAT, sin/cos/tan stuff for QR

Thanks everyone, I went through all the Destroyer road maps last night and took math destroyer practice test #5 (got 31/40).
Woke up at 5:30 this morning, reviewed the math test from last night, and now it's time to review genchem.

RELAX!!! That's what you need to do for the next 7 days. Prep yourself mentally! Believe in your ability to do well and tell yourself that you will do well. Doesn't matter how much you've studied if you go into the test with the wrong mind frame. Aside from that just do a general review of each subject so that the info stays fresh in your mind.

This, definitely this.

Every practice test I take, there seems to be 2 questions which I know I should have gotten correct. That seems to be the difference between scoring a 19 and a 22. Today I'm going over all my gen chem notes, reviewing ferallis' notes, and will probably go over 100 destroyer questions. I feel like I am running out of time. Can anyone give some advice on how to best use the last 7 days? Thanks

For the week before my DAT, I took 3 TopScore practice exams and reviewed every incorrect problem the day after. I was on the same boat as you, missing a couple problems here and there due to loss of focus. Just make sure you take your time, and know how much time you should be spending on each problem. For the day before your test, I suggest little to no studying at all. Just relax and prepare yourself mentally, as others have already mentioned. I took about half an hour that day reading over a few concepts I was foggy with.