1-year before school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm2love

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get a head start on Pharmacy school which won't start until the Fall of next year. What do you suggest I study/do/enjoy/etc. until then? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get a head start on Pharmacy school which won't start until the Fall of next year. What do you suggest I study/do/enjoy/etc. until then? Thanks

3 months vacation in Vietnam that would be nice:)

I'm in the same boat. My first classes start next spring. If I were you, I'd go ahead and start volunteering and maybe even find a job as a pharm tech at a pharmacy in your town. I've been putting in applications all week. By the time you finish your pre-reqs and apply to pharmacy school, you'll have had 2-3 years worth of work and volunteer experience, which could help in case your GPA isn't stellar (not saying it won't be).

Another thing I'm doing is writing down points of interest that I want to include in my personal statement. That way, 2-3 years down the road, I can look back and have a little reminder of why I originally wanted to get into this field and how my opinions might have changed over the months. Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

As far as studying is concerned, I've picked up a few books such as "The Idiot's Guide to Chemistry", "Biology for Dummies" and one of the math "For Dummies" books, just to brush up on my math. Even though I've never taken a bio or chem class in my life, these books ease you into the subjects and help you to become aware of what's in store in the future. Also, you can usually find these books in your local library in case you don't want to buy them. Sorry, I had to add this. I'm also studying the Periodic Table of Elements so that I'll know them in the future. I mean, why not learn them now? You've got all the time in the world...well, you have a year, anyway.

As far as physics goes, I've been reading Richard Feynman's book "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". His series of lectures are great for anyone that is interested in physics, especially those that have yet to take Calculus. Physics can seem intimidating when you see the equations involved so what Feynman does is he explains, in words, the fundamentals of physics and how it relates to other sciences such as chemistry and biology. The book has made me excited to take physics. I may be singing a different tune when I'm actually in the class!

Hope this helps. Sorry if this was a little wordy. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one wanting to get a head start! Good luck!

EDIT: I'm assuming you're talking about pre-pharmacy courses. If you were talking about pharmacy school itself, feel free to disregard any and everything I just said! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
take a vacation and don't do anything. P-1 is pretty easy, if you've already been accepted...just finish up the classes you put on pharmcas and take it easy. seriously. Don't bother reviewing, your whole first year is essentially review and/or easy.

take a vacation and don't do anything. P-1 is pretty easy, if you've already been accepted...just finish up the classes you put on pharmcas and take it easy. seriously. Don't bother reviewing, your whole first year is essentially review and/or easy.

i think op is talking about 1st year in undergrad

Thanks gangs. Sorry for the confusion, it's 1st year of Pharm school actually.

Oh boy, I am in love with this idea. :D

take a vacation and don't do anything... your whole first year is essentially review and/or easy
Hey, sounds like you've answered my concern. I am a little worried about pharmacy program which will be packed with ridiculous amount of info, and hopefully not entirely new..

& to my surprise, the professor suggests I don't do much as well. :laugh:

Thanks gangs. Sorry for the confusion, it's 1st year of Pharm school actually.

Oh boy, I am in love with this idea. :D

take a vacation and don't do anything... your whole first year is essentially review and/or easy
Hey, sounds like you've answered my concern. I am a little worried about pharmacy program which will be packed with ridiculous amount of info..

& to my surprise, the professor suggests I don't do much as well. :laugh: