1 year english requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I know most med schools require at least one year of english. However, I am applying and I only have one semester so far. Should I take a summer class at a local community college or just take the class in the upcoming fall semester. If I wait for the fall semester, will med schools reject my application or will they see that I am going to take the class this fall and count it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

most med schools require you to complete the pre reqs before matriculation. meaning, you can take the english class anytime before you start med school, even after application. I think that the BCPM pre reqs are more important than the english pre reqs to get done during the application process.

Some schools say everything must be done by the end of the Fall semester, but they are few and far between. Watch out as well for the schools that require a certain number of humanities credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine as long as you are going to finish the requirement before you start med school.

Also be aware that some schools will take a foreign language in place of the english credit.

thanks, thought I might have to take a summer class. Less stress for me to deal with and more time to finish my personal statement and then secondaries. Damn its stressful even applying to med school.

BTW thanks for all the help for the people that replied to my questions. This site has been the most helpful thing out there when applying and is better than any book.

Not to hijack this thread, but are lit courses in areas other than English acceptable? (e.g., if one takes a course in French lit, is that OK?)

InNotOf said:
Not to hijack this thread, but are lit courses in areas other than English acceptable? (e.g., if one takes a course in French lit, is that OK?)

It's up to the school. But I wasn't able to use lit classes offered by departments other than english.

Some let you substitute any "writing intensive" course outside of the sciences (ie your senior lab thesis doesn't count but perhaps French Lit). I'd ask the schools in which you are interested; it certainly couldn't hurt.

InNotOf said:

Each school will have their own requirements and "waivers". Check with the ones you are interested in or worried about. Everytime I've called an admin office with those kinds of questions, they've been more than helpful.

while we are on the topic,
an AP english credit can count as 1 semester of english correct?

alee_25 said:
while we are on the topic,
an AP english credit can count as 1 semester of english correct?
Depends upon the school. SOME schools won't accept AP and/or CLEP credit. I know for a fact that all TX schools will (which is good, because I CLEPed out of American Lit.)

jota_jota said:
Depends upon the school. SOME schools won't accept AP and/or CLEP credit. I know for a fact that all TX schools will (which is good, because I CLEPed out of American Lit.)

what i usually see is that the credit must appear on your college transcript in order for it to be counted toward the english requirement.