1 Year English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odddodo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have no idea what the criteria for the 1 year English requirement is. Does the course actually have to be called "English"? I go to UC Berkeley and have taken a course fulfilling the second half of the Reading & Comprehension requirement (one semester; I AP'ed out of the first half), plus other humanities courses...would this qualify as part of the English requirement? And if so, then how would I fulfill the other half of the 1 year requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

odddodo said:
I currently have no idea what the criteria for the 1 year English requirement is. Does the course actually have to be called "English"? I go to UC Berkeley and have taken a course fulfilling the second half of the Reading & Comprehension requirement (one semester), plus other humanities courses...would this qualify as part of the English requirement?
as long as they're offered by the english department, you should be fine...

Depakote said:
as long as they're offered by the english department, you should be fine...

The problem is that I don't know where the English department ends and the other departments start...for example, I took a linguistics course (it does involve projects involving essay-writing), but I have no idea what it would classify under.

Members don't see this ad :)
odddodo said:
The problem is that I don't know where the English department ends and the other departments start...for example, I took a linguistics course (it does involve projects involving essay-writing), but I have no idea what it would classify under.
You might want to consider an upper division course in the English dept or a class whose title has the word "literature" or an equivalent in it - just to make it blatantly clear that it's an english class. Don't know if schools will accept a Linguistics class as english unless the title convinces them. And there are enough schools that require a full year of english that it might be worth it for you. Do students still have an American Cultures requirement (if not, then I'm dating myself with that question)? If so, maybe you can take an AC class that fulfills the school req as well as a premed english req. 2 birds with 1 stone. This is just my opinion, hope it helps.

odddodo said:
what is the course number?

i.e. lit300
Eng 100

etc.

lilold3chordme said:
You might want to consider an upper division course in the English dept or a class whose title has the word "literature" or an equivalent in it - just to make it blatantly clear that it's an english class. Don't know if schools will accept a Linguistics class as english unless the title convinces them. And there are enough schools that require a full year of english that it might be worth it for you. Do students still have an American Cultures requirement (if not, then I'm dating myself with that question)? If so, maybe you can take an AC class that fulfills the school req as well as a premed english req. 2 birds with 1 stone. This is just my opinion, hope it helps.

Yes, there still is an AC requirement; in fact, the linguistics course I mentioned was my AC course. So, there really is no clear-cut criteria for what constitutes an English class? Seems vague...thanks for the comments.

odddodo said:
Yes, there still is an AC requirement; in fact, the linguistics course I mentioned was my AC course. So, there really is no clear-cut criteria for what constitutes an English class? Seems vague...thanks for the comments.
rats, i was thinking more along the lines of comp lit 60ac (but it's full right now), or english 135ac. i say you should ask the pre-med advisor at the career center if others in the past have used that linguistics class as a legit english req, and if not, then sign up for an english/comp lit class. or ask the advisor what they suggest. fortunately i was an minored in it so i had plenty to choose from. good luck with that, and go bears.

Linguistics is very shaky; I strongly doubt schools would consider that an "English" course.

I'm also wondering about this, however. My literature/writing courses have all been classics courses -- but two were English language. I think those will be fine, since they're basically English Lit courses, just translated from Greek, Latin, and Italian... but I'm not certain.

I would email the schools. I sent out an email to all the schools I was applying to earlier this summer, basically explaining what I had taken and asking whether it would fulfill their requirements.

In my case, I had credit for a semester of English from AP credit (listed on my transcript) and I also had taken a "writing-intensive" class to fulfill my college's requirement for a writing intensive freshman seminar. So, I haven't actually taken any classes in the English department. I think most, if not all schools, responded to my email and told me whether that would be enough. In some cases they said they would count both and I didn't need to take any more English, some only counted the AP, and some only counted the writing intensive class, but I don't think I had any say they wouldn't accept either.

DF38 said:
I would email the schools. I sent out an email to all the schools I was applying to earlier this summer, basically explaining what I had taken and asking whether it would fulfill their requirements.

In my case, I had credit for a semester of English from AP credit (listed on my transcript) and I also had taken a "writing-intensive" class to fulfill my college's requirement for a writing intensive freshman seminar. So, I haven't actually taken any classes in the English department. I think most, if not all schools, responded to my email and told me whether that would be enough. In some cases they said they would count both and I didn't need to take any more English, some only counted the AP, and some only counted the writing intensive class, but I don't think I had any say they wouldn't accept either.

Most schools I called said that they would take the "writing-intensive" course for the English requirement, but not an AP course. Thus, I'm taking another English course in the spring to fulfill that much. I think they're really just looking for writing courses taken in college.