1 year masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranger47

Doctor G
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend interested in these programs with the hopes to get into med school afterwards.. Anyone know of a list of them? Is it too late to apply? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I can tell you Syracuse University has a neuroscience masters, and, after emailing them, I've been told that it is doable in one year.....however, hard to do in that short time span.

www.syr.edu, click around under grad programs and go to bioengineering/neuroscience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, adding Tulane University and I believe that the University of Louisville.

A friend of mine did a one year master's program at Loma Linda in Neurosciences and ended up getting in to Loma Linda the following year for medical school! Good luck!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I wouldn't recommend UofL. But I hear Finch and BU are great programs. Also NYMC (If u have money) Tulane is a great program also. My friend is going there in the fall.

I had the best experience with a 1 year masters program! I applied to medical school a few years ago and didnt get in, so I decided to do one of these programs and apply again. I did a program at Johns Hopkins in the School of Public Health (its called an MHS degree), I did it in biochemistry, but there are other departments that offer the degree as well. The program was incredible!! Everyone else was in the same position (Trying to get into med. school) and the program was small enough (20 people) that I really got to know the professors (great letters of rec!). Plus the courses were actually interesting (aside from the 1 required biochem course, I got to take really great courses like infectious diseases, vaccines, etc.). I think these programs are much better than post-bac programs because you actually come out with a degree, you learn something interesting in the process (in my opinion, public health is MUCH more interesting than chemistry or physics!!). Most of all though, it REALLY helped with the med school process. I only had a 3.3 GPA undergrad (from Univ. of Michigan) and a 28 MCAT, but I got a 3.7 at Hopkins and ended up with 12 interviews this time around! I have gotten a few acceptances (I am planning on going to GWU in the fall and I cant wait!!) and am still on a few waiting lists. I would definitely recommend this program to everyone!! Anyway, if you would like to know more, feel free to PM me anytime! Good luck! :luck:

RachMD2B said:
I had the best experience with a 1 year masters program! I applied to medical school a few years ago and didnt get in, so I decided to do one of these programs and apply again. I did a program at Johns Hopkins in the School of Public Health (its called an MHS degree), I did it in biochemistry, but there are other departments that offer the degree as well. The program was incredible!! Everyone else was in the same position (Trying to get into med. school) and the program was small enough (20 people) that I really got to know the professors (great letters of rec!). Plus the courses were actually interesting (aside from the 1 required biochem course, I got to take really great courses like infectious diseases, vaccines, etc.). I think these programs are much better than post-bac programs because you actually come out with a degree, you learn something interesting in the process (in my opinion, public health is MUCH more interesting than chemistry or physics!!). Most of all though, it REALLY helped with the med school process. I only had a 3.3 GPA undergrad (from Univ. of Michigan) and a 28 MCAT, but I got a 3.7 at Hopkins and ended up with 12 interviews this time around! I have gotten a few acceptances (I am planning on going to GWU in the fall and I cant wait!!) and am still on a few waiting lists. I would definitely recommend this program to everyone!! Anyway, if you would like to know more, feel free to PM me anytime! Good luck! :luck:

CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST OF LUCK AT GWU!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I am currently deciding between a 1-year Masters in Public Health at Dartmouth, and the 1 year MS in Applied physiology at Finch Univ in Chicago. I am leaning towards Dartmouth, but I've heard the Finch program helps more to get into Med school, because they officially say your chances are improved if you complete the program. Dartmouth, however, does not formally state whether or not your chances of acceptance will improve. I'm having second thoughts now, does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone know any colleges that have a neuroscience master's program for one year? I live in New Orleans, LA and they have one in Tulane but it says that students accepted in have to be highly qualifed and has to be in Tulane undergraduate program.

I read that Tulane have a cell and molecular biology master's program for one year. They charge half than what they usually charge for regular (full-time) students. Plus the chairman, Dr. Ken Menuoka, says that they guarantee the top student to be accepted in Tulane Medical School.

Thank you so much for the information....I'll consider that in mind when applying.

Syracruse has one up in NY. Does anyone know of any non private 1 yr master's programs that have housing available?

Hey RachMD2B! Congratulations and good luck in med school! I am currently in the same boat with applying and not getting in. I am thinking of doing a one year masters program. I was just wondering how the logistics of this worked. After you completed your masters program, when did you apply to med school again? If you completed a program starting the Fall...so Fall 2012...and wanted to get in med school the following Fall...you would have to begin the application process the summer of 2012....so before your masters program. So in that case how would med schools see your progress in the masters program...or do you wait an additional year to apply?

hey rachmd2b! Congratulations and good luck in med school! I am currently in the same boat with applying and not getting in. I am thinking of doing a one year masters program. I was just wondering how the logistics of this worked. After you completed your masters program, when did you apply to med school again? If you completed a program starting the fall...so fall 2012...and wanted to get in med school the following fall...you would have to begin the application process the summer of 2012....so before your masters program. So in that case how would med schools see your progress in the masters program...or do you wait an additional year to apply?

It's a forum. Casual conversation. Relax. =)

Given the bump that brought this out of the archives, I'll offer this new bit of information

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

select "record enhancer" and you'll find, among other things, 1 year masters programs. It won't include every program because programs have to make the effort to be listed (AAMC doesn't come after them for a listing) but it is a resource for anyone looking to stay in school during a gap year.

Close it or move it to the post-bacc/smp forum that has been created since this thread was created. Or, both. Worthless thread is worthless.

kgulati: use private messages to members instead to ask them questions like that, no need to bump this thread

These are called SMP's (Special Master's Programs) and are usually competitive but offer a great chance at admission after completion of the program (some guarantee interview with the affiliated med school if you did well, etc.)

Unlike traditional research master's, they are not free.

There are threads / compilations of them somewhere around the forums and also on the AAMC website, like LizzyM said.

I've heard from med students who did them that the courses, as a whole, are easier than first year med school. However, you will probably have to take Biochemistry / Anatomy with the med students.

Hey RachMD2B! Congratulations and good luck in med school! I am currently in the same boat with applying and not getting in. I am thinking of doing a one year masters program. I was just wondering how the logistics of this worked. After you completed your masters program, when did you apply to med school again? If you completed a program starting the Fall...so Fall 2012...and wanted to get in med school the following Fall...you would have to begin the application process the summer of 2012....so before your masters program. So in that case how would med schools see your progress in the masters program...or do you wait an additional year to apply?

I'm wondering the same thing. How were medical schools able to take note of your improved GPA? Sorry if this is an amateur question but I'm just now beginning to accept the fact that I may have to enroll in a Masters program to bring up my GPA and I'm not going to lie, I haven't done enough research on this subject. :confused: