1 year masters programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmedhopeful416

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to apply to a 1 year masters program to improve my application - recommendations for programs to look into? I majored in biology for my bachelors degree and really enjoy microbiology but am willing to look into a variety of programs. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Looking to apply to a 1 year masters program to improve my application - recommendations for programs to look into? I majored in biology for my bachelors degree and really enjoy microbiology but am willing to look into a variety of programs. Thanks in advance!
Iowa state has a good one year masters program for biomedical science and it’s in the college of veterinary medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm personally going to apply to the University of Florida online Masters in veterinary forensics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm personally going to apply to the University of Florida online Masters in veterinary forensics.
I am in this program now and I absolutely adore it!

does anyone have any experience with 1 year masters programs online? it’s still a masters program it just offers some flexibility but i don’t want to get invested in one of the overall opinion of schools is that they don’t take them as seriously as an in person degree?

I am currently doing a Non-thesis Master's in Biology through IUPUI. I highly recommend this if you live in Indiana (everything is all online rn so out of state might be feasible). It's geared towards "pre-professionals". There are a lot of dental students, I am the only vet one, but there is PA and med hopefuls in it as well

does anyone have any experience with 1 year masters programs online? it’s still a masters program it just offers some flexibility but i don’t want to get invested in one of the overall opinion of schools is that they don’t take them as seriously as an in person degree?
I’m not sure what exact subject you’re interested in but I am currently in an online masters program through U of Florida. They have several online degrees for VetMed type subjects!

Are you applying for the masters or the graduate certificate one? I’m deciding on which one to choose.

Is the non-thesis option the 1 year course?? I would love to know more about it!
So they talk about it being 2 years but I am in the non thesis option and it only requires 10 courses and I believe that it is fully feasible to compete this masters in 1 year, which I plan to do. All the courses I have taken are completely self paced and the courseload is not terrible. I am really happy in the program and it is much more affordable than others I looked at.

So they talk about it being 2 years but I am in the non thesis option and it only requires 10 courses and I believe that it is fully feasible to compete this masters in 1 year, which I plan to do. All the courses I have taken are completely self paced and the courseload is not terrible. I am really happy in the program and it is much more affordable than others I looked at.

what do your courses look like?? it’s an interesting program by the sounds of it but i’m just wondering what your courses are like!

Members don't see this ad :)
So right now I am taking courses in forensic radiology, forensic evidence and a course about animal cruelty and interpersonal violence. They are all very different in terms of material, but are pretty straightforward. All courses involve a weekly discussion post, some have weekly quizzes and some have weekly writing assignments. There are midterm/final exams but they are all open note. I particularly enjoy the fact that there are a wide variety of students in the classes - ranging from people who just finished undergrad (like me) to current vet students and veterinarians who have been practicing for a long time.There is a lot of reading involved with all the courses but I have found that if I just plan ahead it is very manageable.

I am in this online Biology MS program at UNK! I am in the military so I haven't been doing classes full-time (I am also doing the non-thesis option) but if you were able to take classes full-time I think it could be done in a year. There is a lot of flexibility as far as electives, so I have been able to tailor it to things I am interested in/I think would be relevant for vet school (i.e. immunology, virology, reproductive physiology).

So right now I am taking courses in forensic radiology, forensic evidence and a course about animal cruelty and interpersonal violence. They are all very different in terms of material, but are pretty straightforward. All courses involve a weekly discussion post, some have weekly quizzes and some have weekly writing assignments. There are midterm/final exams but they are all open note. I particularly enjoy the fact that there are a wide variety of students in the classes - ranging from people who just finished undergrad (like me) to current vet students and veterinarians who have been practicing for a long time.There is a lot of reading involved with all the courses but I have found that if I just plan ahead it is very manageable.
So the program is open to undergrads? Not just professionals (Vet students, techs, or vets)?

So the program is open to undergrads? Not just professionals (Vet students, techs, or vets)?
It’s not open to undergrads - you do need a bachelors, but you do not need to be a vet student/vet tech/ veterinarian. The only prerequisite was having a 3.0 undergrad GPA and a biology/similar degree

I am looking to apply for a one year masters program for this next year. I've heard a few people say they didn't have success getting into vet school until they applied having already finished the masters program (i.e. generally their 3rd cycle). Can anyone speak on this or give any advice?

I have the same question! I’m considering the masters program in the vet school at K-state but I’m nervous to take on more debt and what that would mean for me if I still would not get accepted. I’m not sure if I should instead make steps towards a plan B instead of earning a masters that likely won’t expand my employment possibilities by much..

My friend went to Drexel University for their Lab Animal Science MS program and liked it a lot, and it looks like it's now offered online. She did it in person & was accepted to Western, Edinburgh, and St. Matthews in the Caymans a few years back, but it's certainly a well-respected-enough university that I think it would be helpful if you do well in it. (That being said, only helps if you can do it very low cost & eventually get into school & make enough to pay off all your loans, soooooo proceed with caution)

I have the same question! I’m considering the masters program in the vet school at K-state but I’m nervous to take on more debt and what that would mean for me if I still would not get accepted. I’m not sure if I should instead make steps towards a plan B instead of earning a masters that likely won’t expand my employment possibilities by much..
I am currently in this program. I accepted the debt and knew what I was getting myself into going into it, luckily I was accepted to my IS school this cycle, so yay less debt! I will say since we are the first class we have dealt with a majority of the growing pains of the program and they are making a lot of great changes! The professors really go out of your way to help you as well as find you other possible employment opportunities beyond graduation if you are not accepted to professional school. You are welcome to PM for any questions!

I am currently in this program. I accepted the debt and knew what I was getting myself into going into it, luckily I was accepted to my IS school this cycle, so yay less debt! I will say since we are the first class we have dealt with a majority of the growing pains of the program and they are making a lot of great changes! The professors really go out of your way to help you as well as find you other possible employment opportunities beyond graduation if you are not accepted to professional school. You are welcome to PM for any questions!
Has it been structured so it’s available online? At least because of covid, not necessarily as a permanent thing

Has it been structured so it’s available online? At least because of covid, not necessarily as a permanent thing
We were only online for the summer term. In the fall we were able to have anatomy lab in person, as well as biomedical seminar +/- elective (depending on what you took). This semester all of my courses are in person.
I will add that K-State gave out of state residents the in-state tuition rate for any courses that were fully online, which I thought was nice, it also helped keep cost down.

If you are curious about the one-year masters program at Kansas State another classmate and I are taking over the @kstatevetmed Instagram today, to share about our classes and more about the program!