1 year or 2 year residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD2Be48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a point in doing a one year residency, or to really get the "residency only" jobs, a 2 year residency is required?
More frank: is there a point in doing a one year residency?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO there's utility in doing a 1 year residency. This is what I plan on doing, and seems like there are some opportunities as a clinical generalist. I want to work in am care anyway, and I don't think it would be necessary for me to do a PGY2 since my PGY1 residency has the opportunity for me to do up to 6 months of ambulatory care. I know people getting clinical jobs post PGY1 (though of course not in fields such as ID, oncology, etc...) and even some jobs that don't require a PGY1, so I think it's worth it doing a PGY1 at a place with a relatively reputable program.

I know of many pharmacists who have landed clinical positions with only a PGY1. It may not be likely at a flagship 800 bed academic hospital. The oncology pharmacist at my community hospital finished her PGY1 and was hired on to that position straight out of residency though.