10 minute breaks b/t each section - enough time to eat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGoofy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that have taken the new cbt mcat, what did you think of the 10 minute breaks b/t each section?

i'm worried i'm not gonna have enough time to run to the bathroom, gulp down some food, and make it back to the testing room in time.

how did you guys deal with that? please help me. my test is this sat.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about stuffing your face, when you leave the room during breaks you have to sign back in, and that itself can take several minutes, anyhow do it if you can finish each section with time to spare.

For me (and just my experience), those ten minutes gave me all the time in the world. After having to concentrate for an hour, the break feels like slow motion. I think you'll be fine. I used the bathroom like twice and did a lot of spacing out/staring at the wall during my break and then still started my next sections before the entire 10 minutes were over.

even though i'm gonna be eating a big breakfast, i know i'm gonna get really hungry during the test. and i can't focus if i'm hungry.

did you guys have time to eat??? w/in those 10 minutes? cause obviously it takes time to even leave the room and come back, with the fingerprinting

Members don't see this ad :)
Eat a buffet before the test, pack it in hard so don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't over eat before the test, that will just make you tired. Why don't you do whatever you do when you take the practice AAMCs? You should be only be taking the 10 min breaks when you practice for these things.

I am just going to bring a protein bar and red bull- it has been working so far (not really with the scores haha but my energy has been good).

man... i just hope i don't have to do a #2 during the test. That will take longer than 10 minutes

I managed to eat a granola bar and go to the bathroom every 10 min break with about 3 mins to spare. granted there was no one signing out/in with me so there was no hold up in that process. Also, don't take this for fact but I am pretty sure that if it "starts" without you, it only goes to the title page for watver section you are on. From that title page you have to physically click next to start timer/test. I am assuming this is some sort of 5 min buffer.

I managed to eat a granola bar and go to the bathroom every 10 min break with about 3 mins to spare. granted there was no one signing out/in with me so there was no hold up in that process. Also, don't take this for fact but I am pretty sure that if it "starts" without you, it only goes to the title page for watver section you are on. From that title page you have to physically click next to start timer/test. I am assuming this is some sort of 5 min buffer.

yea, it seems like on the practice aamc exams that it only goes to the title page for that section, and you have to be there to click next/start the timer. i'm hoping the real test will be the same way too.

i had time to eat a granola/power bar and drink whatever during each break. I had a light breakfast (um.. don't NOT eat before the MCAT!). You'll be fine as long as you dont have to go #2 ;)

I couldn't eat before my MCAT last August... I ordered a big breakfast from the hotel I was at... and was able to eat one potato and half a cup of coffee... left everything else there... During my Physical Science section my stomach was growling soo loud people must have been annoyed with me and at that break I was able to power half a bagle down and some Gatorade and felt better from then on....

Granola bars are your friend. Bring a few bars to have and drink some water during breaks. Save your real face-stuffing for a post-exam celebration. Plus, eating too much really quickly may make you sleepy, which is the last thing you need during the exam.

I haven't taken the real thing yet, but for my practice tests I've been eating a pretty big breakfast with lots of vegetables and an egg (protein!) and a banana (energy!). Then during breaks I eat peanut butter and jelly (so quick, so good), granola bars, and more fruit. Also Powerade. I think it's working really well for me and I'd reccommend it, esp. the PB&J - not just for 8 year olds anymore.

I just took the test today, and it's really not a lot of time. I guess my hands are smaller than typical and the fingerprint scanner kept on failing to recognize me.

Anyway, aside from the signing in/out & fingerprinting you've got about 5 minutes to do your thing. Be ready to jam in those snack bars and throw back the gatorade. :)

You have plenty of time. The test will not start without you there. I tested that today.... I spent 5 minutes in front of the computer after i got back in the room (after the 10 minute break) and it didn't start on its own.

i dunno about u guys but food would be the LAST thing on my mind

i dunno about u guys but food would be the LAST thing on my mind

Not me. I was all about having FULL ACCESS to my brain all the way through... oatmeal and berries for breakfast, coffee for an ergogenic kick, a cliff bar on the first 10 minute break, and a full box of raisins and a bottle of acai juice on the subsequent two breaks.

ALL ABOUT DA C6H12O6 BABY!!!:D

(Probably should have posted this in the "Stimulants" thread).

:thumbup: MSTPbound

eat something like a granola bar but you dont have a lot of time because from what i remember, the finger print scan thing was pretty annoying and was time consuming.