10+ study habits for the science sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey board...i just wanted advice on how to study for the science sections? any recommendations? study time? books?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I think the most helpful thing for me was to take those first year science courses and master the material then.. Otherwise, do lots of practice questions and study until you know it.. lots of threads on MCAT materials lying around.

tons and tons of practice tests. go over the material some, but practice tests are what will help the most. you have to think the way the testmaker thinks, and the best way is with practice tests.

I took the MCAT 2 times and got above 10's on the sciences both times (My verbal score is what screwed me over the first time). The first time I took it I was intent on memorizing all of the formulas and minute details. I realized, with great sadness, during the test day that I had wasted tons of time doing that and that most of the info comes from the passage. The second time I took tons of practice tests (15+) and felt much better about the test. My science score stayed about the same but my verbal went up 3 points. Practice makes perfect and I would practice a lot and review on those subject areas you do poorly on in the practice tests. That's my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Know the formulas and reactions and such inside out. Learn that stuff early on in your studying, then keep reviewing it. THen start doing a ton of practice tests, at least one per week for like 9 weeks. Read a bunch of boring science-y articles to get used to what you are going to read on the real thing. Then review the formulas and such again about 50 times. Should get you at least 12's on sciences.

I got 10's on the sciences and I thought the worst thing I did in preparation was trying to memorize formulas. Knowing formulas may have helped on like 3 phys. questions, but everything else was based on inferences from the passages. Studying alot probably helps, but careful reading and practice at applying given information seems to me to be the best thing to do.

Have to agree with previous posters... take lots and lots of practice tests...

As far as physical sciences goes, I have to put in a plug for "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov... It really helps you deeply understand the material, which I think really is the difference between scoring <=11 or >=12 on the physical sciences section.

For bio, do tons and tons of practice questions...also, if you get the chance, take more upper level bio beyond what is the minimum requirement for med school. Not only will it help you in med school, but it helped me significantly (+4 points) when I took the MCAT the second time around.

If you get the chance, (and have the time) try to not only memorize formulas, but understand the effects of changing parameters in the formulas conceptually... test yourself by thinking about all the different ways that you could change something in the formula, and what the effects would be.

-ttac

keep the posts coming...i really appreciate it!

any books to recommend?