10 year moratorium information!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterJH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I know the 10-year moratorium is really freakin everyone out (me especially!!). I just received an email from the Australian College of Anaesthetists regarding further training after med school:

"Dear Dr Hayward,

Although the College does not influence matters relating to Provider Numbers, as these are managed via the Health Insurance Commission (now known as Medicare Australia), I can fairly confidently advise that what you are talking about is a Provider Number in Private Practice – that is where there is a 10 year moratorium (and even then there are instances of ‘exceptional circumstances’ where it has been waived). So, this moratorium won’t affect your training, it will only affect your practise once you become a consultant and then only if you want to work in the private sector. There is no moratorium in the public sector, as far as we understand."

Hopefully this puts a lot of fears to rest. So really the big hurdle is obtaining an internship after med school. I guess it sux for people wanting to be GPs as their training isn't that long anyways. But for people able to get into surgery/anaesthetics/other specialties which have training after med school of around 7-10years then by the time you're finished training, the 10-year moratorium will be finished!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay Peter! Thanks for finding that out! That way, even if you're done residency before 10 years are up, and you're an anaesthesiologist, you can find a decent job in the hospital without having to go to the bush. (Not that there is anything wrong with serving Aboriginal communities, but...to each their own)