10 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aprz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize how long I've had this account. I guess I created it when I was an EMT. Now I've been a flight paramedic for a year. I remember many years ago wanting to become a doctor, but I didn't think it was a realistic goal for me. I didn't think becoming a paramedic was a realistic goal either and now I'm a flight medic... I still have that itch to be a doctor. Maybe half a year ago, I decided I was going to go back to school to try to get into nursing cause I feel like it is better whether staying in flight or going into the hospital. I actually signed up for classes, my base I was working at closed, and then I decided to hold off on school until I figured out my job situation. I was also having money issues (took a paycut to get into flight). I got it figured out now and it has been working out very well. My company had a travel position and they pay for my commute to work in a different state. I save a lot of money in food and gas since they pay for it, so even though I get paid less than I did on the ambulance, I am actually saving up more morny. Anyways, I still have that itch to become a doctor. My goal right now is to sign up for classes again and actually go. Hopefully in 4-5 years from now, I don't know if that is unrealistic, if I can start looking at med schools. I'm 32 so feeling a little bit behind, but I feel like if I don't do it now, I'll never get it done and will regret it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sit down and do as realistic a financial projection as you possibly can. Figure your current and projected income each year. Then figure costs of getting all your pre-requisites done, possibly decreased income potential while doing pre-regs, costs of med school AND living expenses for four years with zero income, and minimum of four years of internship and residency (or as high as 7). Then try to determine how old you will be when you hit your break even point, and figure out if it's worth it for you financially.

I looked at this same scenario years ago. I was 30, making about $40k as an anesthesiologist assistant (CAA). I figured costs of med school, costs of living, and significant loss of income. Those were in 1980s dollars. I figured I would have been in my mid-50s to break even. My income as a CAA increased far higher and faster than I expected due to demand, so looking back now, I would have never broken even unless I was in a very high-income medical specialty.

You're the only one who can determine what makes you happy with your employment situation. I started out in EMS while I was in college. Had it paid well, I would have stayed with that because it was absolutely a fun job, but back then it just didn't have the income potential I wanted without working multiple jobs. I've never regretted going the CAA route - 41 years and counting.

Reactions: 1 users
Sit down and do as realistic a financial projection as you possibly can. Figure your current and projected income each year. Then figure costs of getting all your pre-requisites done, possibly decreased income potential while doing pre-regs, costs of med school AND living expenses for four years with zero income, and minimum of four years of internship and residency (or as high as 7). Then try to determine how old you will be when you hit your break even point, and figure out if it's worth it for you financially.

I looked at this same scenario years ago. I was 30, making about $40k as an anesthesiologist assistant (CAA). I figured costs of med school, costs of living, and significant loss of income. Those were in 1980s dollars. I figured I would have been in my mid-50s to break even. My income as a CAA increased far higher and faster than I expected due to demand, so looking back now, I would have never broken even unless I was in a very high-income medical specialty.

You're the only one who can determine what makes you happy with your employment situation. I started out in EMS while I was in college. Had it paid well, I would have stayed with that because it was absolutely a fun job, but back then it just didn't have the income potential I wanted without working multiple jobs. I've never regretted going the CAA route - 41 years and counting.

I would concur about calculating your finances.

I would also add that if it is your dream and will provide a great amount of job satisfaction, you should also consider this into your equation. I figure I'm losing about $1.5 million by becoming a doc (ie lost wages, lost retirement, hourly rate still doesn't match what I was billed as a consultant almost 30 years ago, housing, etc). It was still the best decision I could have made.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think money will be an issue for me. I've been poor all my life. Of course, I am starting to get comfortable now, lol, so now I am looking for new and improved ways to be poor again. I signed up for school so that is a good first step. Gotta work on getting an undergrad first.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think money will be an issue for me. I've been poor all my life. Of course, I am starting to get comfortable now, lol, so now I am looking for new and improved ways to be poor again. I signed up for school so that is a good first step. Gotta work on getting an undergrad first.
Lol this cracked me up; you and I have a lot in common! Both poor EMT’s (well you’re a Paramedic though) who wanna be doctors at 31. Funny. I’m going for it, and I think you should, too. Who cares about money? It’s human lives that really matter 😄

I know I’m not in your shoes, but I thought I’d offer some input. I’m 23, applying this cycle. I worked full time in EMS in Utah during college; I really embraced the field.

I’m not sure how useful it would be for you to pursue a BSN if you intend to get med school. If you’re worried about finances, and I think juggling work and school should also be an important consideration, then I think you should choose a degree that overlaps most with your pre-med requirements. Although many schools have less scripted requirements, most schools still require certain classes.

Additionally, when you take your pred-med courses- including your behavioral sciences- take them seriously! Your success in those classes will impact how much you spend studying for the MCAT. I personally saved $1000+ on a cheaper studying method because I retained information from those classes. The important being that those classes cover the sections in the exam (including the psychology and sociology section). Also, I took a month off from working full-time to study for the MCAT.

From what I’ve been told and have heard, you won’t be too old. As long as you can demonstrate your genuine interest in being a physician and reflect on your past experiences, you’ll be fine. If you can demonstrate to admissions committee the value you bring having had a life before medicine, you’ll be golden.

As a final note, I worked as an AEMT in Utah where we have an expanded scope. I worked alongside medics and EMT’s, I developed educational resources, a MIH-CP program, and was an active leader at my agencies. From all that I can say without a doubt that physicians and paramedics are different- from what they do, to how they think, to everything between. Not in a bad way, but rather, if you want to be a physician, being a paramedic- even a flight medic- won’t satisfy that urge. So if you want to be a physician, go for it. 5 years is realistic. Plan out your classes and take summer classes so you can take less during the other semester. Rather than taking all the gen ed’s up front, plan what you need for your major and sprinkle the gen ed’s around that schedule.