101 or 121? Do schools care?

Started by TOLDUSO
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TOLDUSO

No Clever Title
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, as a non-traditional student who came out of military service, I decided to start off with the 101 series for Chem and 151 for Bio. Should I have taken the 121 series Chem and 154 (or whatever applicable number) Bio?

Has anyone taken the 101 level stuff and gotten accepted into med/dental schools? As stated before, I did this because I was coming out of not being in school for a good 6-7 yrs and figured if 101 was even slightly more likely to help me maintain a good GPA, then I would take that route. Also, at the time, I really didn't think it made that much of a difference, as the higher core classes would be the same in most cases anyway, regardless of which path I took to get to them.

Now I'm a little worried, and people around my parts aren't all that knowledgeable or helpful in the matter.

😕
 
The course numbers are not very helpful because they vary from school to school. Course titles would provide more info. Are you taking a two semester sequence of Chemistry and also Chemistry lab? Is this class a pre-req for Organic Chemistry? If so, you should be fine. If it is a class like "Survey of Chemistry for Basket-weaving Majors" you will also need to take the other Chemistry course, but this one will boost your BCP (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) GPA. Thanks for serving our country!
 
Last edited:
The course numbers are not very helpful because they vary from school to school. Course titles would provide more info. Are you taking a two semester sequence of Chemistry and also Chemistry lab? Is this class a pre-req for Organic Chemistry? If so, you should be fine. If it is a class like "Survey of Chemistry for Basket-weaving Majors" you will also need to take the other Chemistry course, but this one will boost your BCP (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) GPA.

Well, in Bio I'm ok. Looks like I get to take Chem 121 though before I can take Organic and Inorganic Chem. Bummer. I don't think my adviser understood the course catalog for my career path when I first started school, and I wish I would have been more pro-active in looking into it myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm about in the same boat.
They insisted that I was able to take just the Applied Physics, which are PHY2004 & L /2005 & L. I later found out by asking other Pre-Professional students that General physics or Physics with calculus were the only accepted forms of physics by Dental/Medical schools.

Mleh. I took App. Phy I because it was insisted upon me to take. I'm now taking General Physics.

I wish I had asked around sooner, or perhaps found these forums sooner.
 
I'm about in the same boat.
They insisted that I was able to take just the Applied Physics, which are PHY2004 & L /2005 & L. I later found out by asking other Pre-Professional students that General physics or Physics with calculus were the only accepted forms of physics by Dental/Medical schools.

Mleh. I took App. Phy I because it was insisted upon me to take. I'm now taking General Physics.

I wish I had asked around sooner, or perhaps found these forums sooner.
Seriously? That doesn't sound right...especially when not all dental schools even require calculus.
 
When I applied to UNLV last year, they told me that I should took higher level Bio courses and just taking introductory courses does not really show my strength and ...