?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tahitian3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone post in here anymore?
I currently have a BA in psychology and would like to go to med school some day. While taking pre-med prerequisites I would not mind working as a nurse or in the psychology field.
What kind of jobs do you think are out there for people with just BAs in psych?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey tahitan,
If you have prior research experience, you may want to try getting a job as a full-time research assistant in a lab is an option.

nah, no lab research for me.
I know other post-bacc med students do lab research. I've tried a few places, but it's a revolving door. "You don't have any (or you don't have enough) experience, we can't help you." How am I going to get experience if I'm never given an opportunity?
Any other suggestions? How about a receptionist at a mental health clinic? or something.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks sanman

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be able to get a position as a mental health technician or rehabilitation aide. Both of these positions typically provide on-the-job training, although they are hard to find and typically require prior clinical experience. Other options include working as an EMT-B or CNA. A psychology BA is essentially meaningless in the job market, unless you have a considerable amount of research experience or ancillary clinical training.

I have a BA in psychology, and worked as a psychometrist (administering neuropsychological tests) and clinical data manager for an Alzheimer's Disease clinical trial. The pay was not great ($25,000/year), but I received full tuition remission for 16 credits of graduate coursework in public health (about $15,000) and full benefits. Now that I completed an MPH, I am working as a clinical research assistant in a psychiatry dept. at an academic medical center, and make $44,000/year. I will begin med school in the fall.

Bottom line: You have options, but you really have to pound the pavement to find something. Try to pick up some experience through an internship or by working at a lab on a volunteer basis. This will allow you to get some additional "vita lines" and may lead to a paid position.

By the way, what are you doing now?

Wow, congratulations on being accepted to med school, publichealth. I always like to hear stories about individuals who have taken non-traditional routes to med school:clap: :clap:
Right now I am doing pre-nursing courses (it will ease my mind to know that if I get kicked out of med school, I can come out and have a steady job that offers opportunities for advancement).
I guess I'll have to do a little detective work to find a part-time job with my current credentials.
Yesterday I filled out an online application to be a lab assistant at a local hospital (it requires just a high school degree, so I should be in the clear;) )
Wish me luck and thanks for the advice everyone.