This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
possibly need to consider a back up field....

No. Just Kidding, you do not have to worry if you have all of the other things going for you, then your application will stand out. It's about the entire application not just numbers. Numbers dont make an amazing ophthalmologist, it's your interest and other factors your bring to the playing field. (dont get me wrong grades are important but im just emphasizing the entire package.)

I'm not sure where you go to school, but a 235 is not really a bad score. It's not above average for ophtho, but i don't think it's going to keep you out necessarily. A lot of the match is about personality, geographics, reputation of your school, connections, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure where you go to school, but a 235 is not really a bad score. It's not above average for ophtho, but i don't think it's going to keep you out necessarily. A lot of the match is about personality, geographics, reputation of your school, connections, etc.

Agreed. Also, there are definitely programs that will appreciate your top 10 med school and its prestige... Some programs don't care about that stuff but some programs definitely do... Just a fact...

I also scored 235 on step 1 but have not much else going for me. What would I need to do to match into ophtho with that score?

leadership, research, take step 2 early (d0 better) and send your applications with your new score :) it worked for me

Reactions: 1 user
What carolink15 said, plus get really good letters of recommendation. It's never too early to start working on building relationships to get excellent letters.

To echo the above, LORS are very important. Ophthalmology is a close-knit field. Having an exceptional letter from a well-respected facutly, especially from a program with pedigree can really hit with scoring and interview. GL

I hope it's okay to ask my question in this thread.

I'm a US citizen from a top UK medical school. I am currently getting around a 230 in practice tests with 2 weeks to go to the real thing. I am confident I can raise the score, but not sure if I can hit my target of 240+. I am in a strange place - should I press the 'gas pedal' and just do my best, or should I extend it? Problem is that I have rotations starting soon. Should I take a year-off?

I do have other things going for me. 3 first author pubs in top ophth journals, around 6 posters (including ARVO and AAO). Excellent LORs, interesting life story.

I wanted to get a great step 1 score to round my application off nicely, but I seem to be making small gains with my study efforts.

Any advice? If I am getting around mid-230s on my practice NBMEs... should I go ahead and take the test?

Thanks

definitely not.... you shouldn't take unless you are scoring at least 10 points above your goal consistently