1099 Taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctahB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the locums game (1 month to be exact) and therefore new to the 1099 taxes game... I've tried doing my research on this but the most I can find is one should try to pay their taxes quarterly, the amount being based on documents that I don't have.

Yes, I will be consulting with an accountant in the future; but, as September 15 is looming ever closer, figured I'd curbside some other 1099 people who were also once new.

Thank you in advance!

Bonus question: where do you set aside the money you intend to pay in taxes? I'm a bit hesitant to invest it in the market vs just store it in a "high yield" savings account for some very minimal interest.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked 1099 for 7 years. I never paid quarterly. I put money in a separate savings and paid at the end of the year.
Then you just haven't been caught yet, or you're covering yourself through withholding with your regular W-2 employer. If you under-withhold, you're subject to penalties and interest. I found out the hard way.

Reactions: 1 user