This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamrose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why did you switch from Pre-Med to Pre-Dent over the last week?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was waiting for someone to ask and although I don't feel like I need to explain myself for my motives.. I will entertain the doubting thoughts out there.

Truth is I never considered dentistry at all. I was so focused on being pre-med - maybe it was the tunnel vision acquired through the process, but I blame myself entirely. The way I see it, dentistry is essentially medicine except you get to specializes from the start. I didn't make up my mind 100% yet, I have more shadowing to do, but I am getting good vibes from the people I talk to about dentistry. especially since it is (for now) reasonably untouched by the healthcare catastrophe and the lifestyle is more predictable

I was waiting for someone to ask and although I don't feel like I need to explain myself for my motives.. I will entertain the doubting thoughts out there.

Truth is I never considered dentistry at all. I was so focused on being pre-med - maybe it was the tunnel vision acquired through the process, but I blame myself entirely. The way I see it, dentistry is essentially medicine except you get to specializes from the start. I didn't make up my mind 100% yet, I have more shadowing to do, but I am getting good vibes from the people I talk to about dentistry. especially since it is (for now) reasonably untouched by the healthcare catastrophe and the lifestyle is more predictable

Well, what we can say is that your chance is virtually zero without any shadowing hours, aim to get around 100. Your pre-health committee probably won't write you a letter because a big change in such a short period of time makes it seem like you're desperate to get in somewhere next year, regardless of where it is. Also, without a DAT score we have no idea how to assess you -- aim for around 21ish+ minimum to even stand a chance.

Also, and I feel like I have to put this here just because: Dental school is not a back-up plan if/when your Med school dreams get shot down.

Reactions: 2 users
Also UB student (Junior), switched from pre-med to dentistry for the same reason. OP you should shadow first and foremost and then consider DAT stuff.

You literally wrote the same thing a while back...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ngly-considering-switching-to-dental.1126074/

Can you just admit that your stats are not up to par for medical school?

I also told you in your first thread which courses are part of the sciGPA so you should be able to calculate it yourself.

You are going to need a higher DAT score to compensate for your GPAs. 21+

If I was on the committee, I also would not accept you or write you a letter of recommendation because you literally changed career paths within a week and without any evidence. (ie. no dental shadowing). It would be unwise of them to back a former pre-med applicant now turned pre-dent, so close to the application start date.

yeah man, based on your posting history you appear to be one of those pre-meds that has entered "freak out mode" after realizing things didn't go quite as planned (i.e. realizing your science GPA is low or MCAT practice tests going poorly). You'll have to forgive myself and the denizen's of the board for being a little skeptical as it is a little insulting to treat dentistry as a back up to medicine because you perceive the standards to get in are lower.

OP, you most likely don't have a shot at medical school but depending on the MCAT, you can still do DO school. Don't enter dentistry just for the lifestyle or because you might not have a shot at medicine. Because when you're coming out with 300-500k in debt, that lifestyle might take a while to achieve.

You literally wrote the same thing a while back...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ngly-considering-switching-to-dental.1126074/

Can you just admit that your stats are not up to par for medical school?

I also told you in your first thread which courses are part of the sciGPA so you should be able to calculate it yourself.

You are going to need a higher DAT score to compensate for your GPAs. 21+

If I was on the committee, I also would not accept you or write you a letter of recommendation because you literally changed career paths within a week and without any evidence. (ie. no dental shadowing). It would be unwise of them to back a former pre-med applicant now turned pre-dent, so close to the application start date.

Damn, like a dagger to the heart. Someone needed to say something though.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm confused about this thread, is this made for pity points? I'm not being an ass, someone just needs to be straight up. If you want something bad enough, YOU will get it. it all just a matter of time. "When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, then you will succeed". Cheers and hope for the best mate.