MD [ ]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noflag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[ ]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We're got very similar profiles :p are you a NY resident?
I've been told to drop BU, Georgetown, and GW due to high volume of applicants. Also heard that Dartmouth is a slim chance unless you've got a great backstory (and/or nontrad)
Any interest in Illinois, Wisconsin, or Kentucky? Rochester might be one to add, too.

Your ECs are so weak that you're in grave danger of multiple rejects. You've done barely what's convenient, and not what's necessary.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanism side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.
I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are my EC's really that weak? I'm very confused with your post. I feel like i have more than sufficient clinical patient contact experiences.

Your ECs are so weak that you're in grave danger of multiple rejects. You've done barely what's convenient, and not what's necessary.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanism side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.
I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

80 hr of volunteering is weak. Most successful applicants have > 100 hrs.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you actually talk to patients?
100+ hours of clinical research/clinical exposure in specialty

yes it was a clinical research internship for a full summer, interacting with patients and taking vital signs
80 hr of volunteering is weak. Most successful applicants have > 100 hrs.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you actually talk to patients?
100+ hours of clinical research/clinical exposure in specialty

I am also doing a 10 week internship this summer with a large non-profit in an underserved area