This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegrapesoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retaking the SAT with a 2050??
What makes you unhappy about your current school? Is it ugly? What resources are you looking for, considering you already have one of the most sought after EC in Research?

Is money no object? Transfer usually doesn't award financial aid the way regular admissions does.

Here's a list of the most heavily premed universities if you want lots of resources and peers to commiserate with! Emory left a great impression when I visited and has premeds out the wazoo, a good option

Members don't see this ad :)
With your HS stats, you would make it into Nova for sure.
Not sure how they'll look on your college stuff tho.

I've never heard of anyone retaking the SAT or ACT while in college. I believe those are only used as metrics to determine competitiveness when you're a fresh-out-of-high-school student applying for admission/scholarships. Further, you are doing decently but not great at your current university - what makes you think transferring to an Emory or a USC (which isn't small at all) is going to result in your doing better? I'm not saying you can't improve, and I'm not sure what your current university's rankings are, but, to me, it seems like you're immature and trying to blame your situation/grades on your environment. I would remove Emory from your list, if you even apply to any at all - your uw GPA and ACT are in their 25th percentile. On top of what I've already said, it's a little too late to transfer - most people who transfer second year apply to schools in March or so.

@OP tbh I don't think USC and Emory will bite w/ a 3.5 cGPA and 2050 SAT.

^ I doubt theyd turn him down for a relatively weak highschool GPA and SAT. Universities are often very transfer friendly to people like OP because they don't have to offer nearly as much financial aid, and a 3.5 collegiate GPA is plenty solid, high school metrics don't matter as much when you already have some data on the performance those metrics are meant to predict! Worth a shot at least.

I am unhappy where I am because it is far too large, Greek life is overly prevalent, the town is way too small and not near any major cities (although there is a superb teaching and research hospital), it's a huge party school. Though minor, I would love to experience all four seasons (unless I'm in LA). I only chose this school because it was the best option I had at the time. I never really wanted to go there. I've always dreamed and imagined walking to class on a gorgeous campus with lots of greenery/foliage/even snow, studying in gothic/European styled libraries, having small classes, going to classy-ish bars... none of that is a my current school.

@efle , Money is not a huge concern. But it would definitely suck having to pay $50k+/year from paying less than $5k/year.

...Can't comment to the ease of applying to any of these schools as a transfer, but from both your complaints/wishes and from your comment about money, I'm thinking that USC wouldn't be a very good fit for you at all. Have you looked into these schools at all outside of location?

Reactions: 1 user
Why wouldn't USC be a good fit? That's know as University for Spoiled Children where im from in SoCal

@jb94mg , good to know! Probably won't be retaking the SAT then! I'm not blaming my situation for my so-so GPA. But I know I will be happier at one of the listed schools, and being happier will make it easier to study and excel. I simply do not like where I am now and believe I will be happier somewhere else. Most schools accept transfers for the spring term, which is what I'm applying for. I've removed USC.

Perhaps you are right, and hopefully you do excel if you transfer; it's just that a lot of young pre-meds come on this forum and blame their grades on their situation, so it's a pretty common thing in pre-allo. Hence my suspicions. I would still caution against applying to or attending Emory, given your high school (and college) stats. Regarding Scripps, from its Wikipedia: "The school received 167 transfer applications, of which it admitted none."

Thanks so much, @bae2017 ! Unfortunately, I've already done that :/ Northeastern's co-op program is really interesting. My top choice would be Boston College, but they don't take too many transfers and my stats are a bit low for them.

EDIT: Apparently, BC accepted 29% of transfer applicants for Fall 2014. I was rejected as a HS senior... don't know if it's worth a shot or not. Hmm...
Can't hurt to try. Far better to waste a bit of time on a few reach/dream apps than never try and wonder what ifs

Expect to pay a lot if you are transferring as I feel many scholarships / packages are meant for incoming freshman