This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oshanimalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On the one hand, my school has rejected people for petty theft.

On the other hand, displays of exemplary behavior combined with excellence like you have done do appeal to Adcom members who believe in redemption, and so you have to apply and see how the app cycle goes. If you get IIs, then your explanations at interviews will go a long way in determining your fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The positives, it was 2.5 years ago and IA not criminal. I think that assuming that the rest of your application is as decent as you say, some schools will have interest.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it js also worth asking how last cycle went. Where did you apply and did you get IIs?

Also how have you improved your app in the past year?

I think it js also worth asking how last cycle went. Where did you apply and did you get IIs?

Also how have you improved your app in the past year?
I have had interviews with my state school but it was during a bad time (sorry to be vague). I have since been working for an mcat tutoring group and working in an underserved area. Does that answer your question

I'm usually the one getting made fun of for always following all the rules but even I can't believe a school would ruin your permanent record over a book! Wow. I forgot to return my ochem model kit and it's still under my shelf somewhere. Maybe I should be worried...

I'm usually the one getting made fun of for always following all the rules but even I can't believe a school would ruin your permanent record over a book! Wow. I forgot to return my ochem model kit and it's still under my shelf somewhere. Maybe I should be worried...
yeah...wait what I don't get the point of your post.

Last edited:
There's many qualified applicants, without any red flags whatsoever. Why would a school pick someone with a history of theft over someone who never stole anything?

There's many qualified applicants, without any red flags whatsoever. Why would a school pick someone with a history of theft over someone who never stole anything?
Idk, that's why I'm asking. why don't you ask the people above?

I can tell you that this is not the deal-breaker many think it is. People make mistakes, and admissions committee members know this. I personally know of at least 3 people with criminal convictions on their records from residency, and you do not even have a criminal charge. Be ready to talk about it in your interviews, and cast a wide net with your applications.

Your stats are excellent, I think what you did while its not great is not exactly that bad, and the charges were expunged, its not exactly like you were holding up a convenience store at gun point, now that would definitely destroy your chances of getting into school, its a relatively minor offense.

Focus on doing some good work, working in soup kitchens, feeding starving babies in Africa, and that would take the focus off of you stealing a textbook.