This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onthebackBURNER

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you feel the need to use this picture. To confirm that you actually shaved your head? I think I may be missing something.

I just like the picture, and before I go out and get a new "professional" one taken I am just wondering if I could submit this one instead to stand out from all the generic suit and tie pictures that most applicants will undoubtedly submit. Not trying to prove anything or validate an experience (the fact that it ties into one of the themes of my app is just an added bonus). Merely wondering if submitting something less formal is frowned upon, or if submitting this would be fine, OR if nobody will even care/notice either way.

Thanks for your response
This is a pretty bad picture. It is clear you do not brush your teeth well. Make sure you floss for an extra four seconds between your incisors for better results.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just like the picture, and before I go out and get a new "professional" one taken I am just wondering if I could submit this one instead to stand out from all the generic suit and tie pictures that most applicants will undoubtedly submit. Not trying to prove anything or validate an experience (the fact that it ties into one of the themes of my app is just an added bonus). Merely wondering if submitting something less formal is frowned upon, or if submitting this would be fine, OR if nobody will even care/notice either way.

Thanks for your response
Honestly this looks fine. I think the picture is used to identify you more than anything else. Had a friend take a picture in a regular shirt and he still got in.

Thanks for your response

Ah, I see. I think your guess is as good as anyone's when it comes to how adcoms will react to a less formal picture. Just my opinion, but I feel as though they just use those pictures to put a face with the application and it's really not a place to try to stand out.

Also, if you're going to worry about it at all, it's best to just save yourself the trouble and do the formal pic.

Thanks for your response
I think that's amazing what you did, but if you talked about it in your activities and secondaries, I wouldn't risk it with this photo. Some adcoms may not appreciate it, while others might. The point is you don't know, so why risk it?

I honestly don't know why someone would discount you for this photo... That said, if you feel like you'd have to explain it, maybe leave it off. My rule of thumb: don't bring up anything that you wouldn't be comfortable talking about. You've already mentioned your activities in your application, and it seems like a passionate element for you... So... I could easily see you running with it.

As a picture itself, it's perfectly fine. The goal is to put a face/personality to the stats and this is perfect. Plenty of people have shaved heads and it looks really good/normal on you. I wouldn't have connected the shaved head to your cancer event if you hadn't told me, so hold off on that (they probably won't even correlate the two either or let alone ask why you chose that particular image). I honestly can't imagine an AdCom questioning your choice of picture. You're dressed up and smiling. Good enough.

You'd be better off not using this picture. Medicine is conservative, etc etc...Someone might look at it and dismiss your app without even reading the story behind it. Save the personality for the interview.

You'd be better off not using this picture. Medicine is conservative, etc etc...Someone might look at it and dismiss your app without even reading the story behind it. Save the personality for the interview.

having a shaved head isn't some crazy thing. the picture is fine, shows character, and no one is going to discount him for shaving his head. thats just ridiculous.

having a shaved head isn't some crazy thing. the picture is fine, shows character, and no one is going to discount him for shaving his head. thats just ridiculous.

Having a shaved head is not the problem. It's the posing. I thought that seemed obvious.

Reactions: 1 user
As a picture itself, it's perfectly fine. The goal is to put a face/personality to the stats and this is perfect. Plenty of people have shaved heads and it looks really good/normal on you. I wouldn't have connected the shaved head to your cancer event if you hadn't told me, so hold off on that (they probably won't even correlate the two either or let alone ask why you chose that particular image). I honestly can't imagine an AdCom questioning your choice of picture. You're dressed up and smiling. Good enough.
Actually, most ask for a passport style photo. I would stick with the requirements OP

Oh and no one has a problem with his shaved head! It is the pose

Last edited:
Having a shaved head is not the problem. It's the posing. I thought that seemed obvious.
the hand on the head? it just adds personality to it. backstory or not, i don't see a problem with it. much better than the mug shot sears portrait center pictures ive seen most pre-meds send it.

Don't like it. I like the bald head though, makes you look mature lol. But seriously. It just looks like you decided to take a pic with your hand on your head for no apparent reason unless you explain it elsewhere.

Will you have hair or no hair when you interview. Send a picture that looks like you'll look when you interview. Make it a standard head & shoulders portrait. There is no extra credit for artsy shots. the point is not to make your picture a conversation piece about your favorite charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.