gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Drop it. As long as you've got leadership elsewhere it won't matter.
I would also speculate that AMSA is somewhat a direct "competitor " to AMA-MSS and may not be particularly well-liked by a certain percentage of medical schools. However, that is minor as a specific EC

Reactions: Mad Jack

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Dump it and find something else. It's simply not worth it.

So last year, my freshman year, I invested a lot of time into AMSA in order to get a leadership role this year. I successfully did that and am now a director of one of the subsections of AMSA. However, after joining a sorority, being more invested in research, and joining a different club that is more meaningful to me, I realized how much I don't like AMSA. It's 95% a waste of my time.

BUT, if I continue with AMSA, I'll most likely have my director position until I graduate. And there is this free clinic attached to the club that only AMSA members can apply to that I would love to apply to as well, though there is not guarantee I'll be accepted. On the other hand, there are many free clinics in the area that I could potentially volunteer at in the future.

I worked pretty hard for this leadership position, and it'll show dedication and commitment if I stick with it. But I don't enjoy it at all nor the people in it. It usually takes up 3-4 hrs/week.

Any advice/opinions?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
AMSA, like any premed club, offers leadership positions like candy. Sure, some people found meaningful stuff from it and that's great, but since you already despise the group, you should drop it and find something else more productive and interesting.

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So last year, my freshman year, I invested a lot of time into AMSA in order to get a leadership role this year. I successfully did that and am now a director of one of the subsections of AMSA. However, after joining a sorority, being more invested in research, and joining a different club that is more meaningful to me, I realized how much I don't like AMSA. It's 95% a waste of my time.

BUT, if I continue with AMSA, I'll most likely have my director position until I graduate. And there is this free clinic attached to the club that only AMSA members can apply to that I would love to apply to as well, though there is not guarantee I'll be accepted. On the other hand, there are many free clinics in the area that I could potentially volunteer at in the future.

I worked pretty hard for this leadership position, and it'll show dedication and commitment if I stick with it. But I don't enjoy it at all nor the people in it. It usually takes up 3-4 hrs/week.

Any advice/opinions?
it's quality over quantity