This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegrapesoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dump it and find something else. It's simply not worth it.

So last year, my freshman year, I invested a lot of time into AMSA in order to get a leadership role this year. I successfully did that and am now a director of one of the subsections of AMSA. However, after joining a sorority, being more invested in research, and joining a different club that is more meaningful to me, I realized how much I don't like AMSA. It's 95% a waste of my time.

BUT, if I continue with AMSA, I'll most likely have my director position until I graduate. And there is this free clinic attached to the club that only AMSA members can apply to that I would love to apply to as well, though there is not guarantee I'll be accepted. On the other hand, there are many free clinics in the area that I could potentially volunteer at in the future.

I worked pretty hard for this leadership position, and it'll show dedication and commitment if I stick with it. But I don't enjoy it at all nor the people in it. It usually takes up 3-4 hrs/week.

Any advice/opinions?

AMSA, like any premed club, offers leadership positions like candy. Sure, some people found meaningful stuff from it and that's great, but since you already despise the group, you should drop it and find something else more productive and interesting.

why is this a dilemma? if you don't like it, don't do it.

So last year, my freshman year, I invested a lot of time into AMSA in order to get a leadership role this year. I successfully did that and am now a director of one of the subsections of AMSA. However, after joining a sorority, being more invested in research, and joining a different club that is more meaningful to me, I realized how much I don't like AMSA. It's 95% a waste of my time.

BUT, if I continue with AMSA, I'll most likely have my director position until I graduate. And there is this free clinic attached to the club that only AMSA members can apply to that I would love to apply to as well, though there is not guarantee I'll be accepted. On the other hand, there are many free clinics in the area that I could potentially volunteer at in the future.

I worked pretty hard for this leadership position, and it'll show dedication and commitment if I stick with it. But I don't enjoy it at all nor the people in it. It usually takes up 3-4 hrs/week.

Any advice/opinions?
it's quality over quantity