12 year old pre-req? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochafreak

registered quaffer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Chem Eng degree from 1994 and have B+ in both Ochems (but no labs). Overall, my GPA is below a 3.0. I've been taking pre-reqs the past year and I was all ready to audit Ochem I and II this summer, while taking the labs for credit. Do I need to worry about my previous Ochem classes being to old? I have looked at the websites of the schools I'm interested in (IUSD, UOP, NYU, BU, etc.) but haven't seen anything specifically stating that it's a problem. By the time I apply I will have repeated or taken all the other pre-reqs for the first time within the past two years. I wanted to audit it for review and not have to worry about studying, because I want to get a lot of shadowing done this summer. Sorry this is so long, but what would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

For non science majors if a prereq is that old it the admissions people would tell you to take them over, but since you were a science major (exception computer majors)they could just tell you to take an upper level course instead, but check with the admissions people to see what they say. I could be way off.

you need to retake the classes. the general rule is anything over 5 years is considered outdated and you must take it over. i'm currently retaking my chem cycle (1 and 2 and ochem 1 and 2) for that reason. i'm not applying for 3 more years, but by then they'll be 5+ years old. it's a crappy deal but oh well, the price you have to pay for something you really want. also, i don't mind it cause it's just solidifying my understanding of chem and anything under a 20 on the DAT in chem or ochem will be unacceptable in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mochafreak,
talk to the dental admissions people from various schools, before you take my or UMDeeMan's word(nothing against UMDeeMan). Get it from the proper authority.

Yeah, I guess I'll be taking that over again too. It was the only thing I wasn't going to take over. I almost completely overlooked the whole 12 y/o thing...I'm old...guess the memory's going. Well, looking on the bright side at least I'll be getting up at 6:30 in the morning for a grade instead of an audit, and it'll raise my gpa more. I need to get a loan fast though. :(

CHeck with schools you are interested in, but I figure you will need to retake them.

Oh yeah, would anyone be interestedd in a non-trad thread, maybe to assist other non-trad lurking around on the site? If so, let me know.